Joburg to Rwanda...April 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi guys, looking for advice from the big-distance adventurers on a route from Jhb to Rwanda.  Plan is to go up to Malawi in April next year and, time permitting, up through Tanzania to Rwanda.  Our initial uneducated guess is to circumvent Zimbabwe by entering Malawi via Botswana and then through Zambia.  Then take the western trail along the lakes through Tanzania and Burundi to our turnaround destination in Rwanda.  The return trip will see us drop down pretty much the way we came back into Tanzania but then return to SA through Malawi and then Mozambique.

My guess is we'll have about 3 weeks to do this trip.  Obviously I would like to include as many dirt roads as possible but happy to hit the tar to make up time if necessary.  The trip will have a strong focus on the budget - no fancy five-star stuff but rather tents and camping most of the way - with the odd B&B to keep the Mrs happy - she'll tag along as pillion.  This trip is (I hope) a warmup to an eventual CT-London - a lot will depend on how the Mrs enjoys it....

Questions - is this trip doable in 3 weeks?....or should we cut it off in Malawi?
Are there regular places we can camp?
Any suggestions on route?
What kind of budget would be realistic?
Any other advice would be welcome.