Lesotho and surrounds! 5 days, 4 nights.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Day 1 : Durban to katse - via Sani pass, mohkotlong.

Andre and I met at petroport at Nandi drive at 6am. After a brief chat we hit the road. Andre was on his Africa twin DCT and myself on the 1090R. We stuck to the speed limit on the N3, and before long we were at the underberg off ramp. A quick stop to put on some warmer kit and check the phone. Here I got a message from Richard who was riding to meet us at mohkotlong from jhb side that he had a blow out in his back tyre just outside of Heidelberg. He was on his own and had called a tow truck. We decided that I would call him from Underberg to see where he was , and would make a decision on the meeting point after that.
We got to underberg in no time, luckily the most on the R103 wasn't bad, and the temp only get down to about 3 degrees. We arrived in underberg at 8 and stopped in at the lemon tree for a cup of coffee.
I called Richard to find out how he was doing. He was on his way back to his bike after getting the tyre fixed and should be on the road shortly.. We were now theoretically 2 hours ahead of him, so we decided that we would meet him at katse, we would go our planned route and he would just stick to the main roads from jhb side to Katse.
After our coffee we were off to the Sani border. Jumped off  the bikes, went inside to get out passport stamped and upon returning to the bike we noticed the Africa twin and a rear flat. Now the fun began.
Andre and I had never changed a back tyre before, so this was going to be interesting.
Anyway, after about two hours of battling, we finally got the bladdy thing done. I must say thanks to all the guys that offered us assistance, and we have now both put the theory of changing a rear tyre to practice!
It was now just after 11 and we wacked it up Sani only stopped to take one pic, but this is a pass I have done numerous times before.
At the top, I called Richard to let him know of our misfortune to find out he was at the border. We decided now to stick with the original plan and meet at the petrol point in mapholaneng. It was 2 hours from his side, and about 1:30 from us.
We headed off with out any drama and met Richard just after 1. A quick refuel and Coke at the station and we were off on Lospers green route to the tabaseka katse road.
About half way in, on one of the technical rocky sections, Andre bumped his foot peg on a rock, I mean the slightest bump, the bike didn't even move off line, and the hole alloy bracket that holds the peg sheared right off. We now still had 70km to go, 30km of decently technical riding and 40km of gravel road. We nursed it along slowly with andre and we got to katse at 6pm. 12 hours riding for us, but what a lekker day! The maluti's went down so well, dinner at the lodge was great and the cottage we hired was also epic!

Pic 1 - tyre change
Pic 2 - on Sani
Pic 3 - somewhere on Lospers routs
Pic 4 - couple school girls want there pic taken with the 1090R, they clearly could spot a good looking bike!
Pic 5 - the broken foot peg mounting
Pic 6 - katse dam wall
Pic 7 - from the lodge parking

More to follow when I get a gap...!

Attachments

• IMG_4573.JPG
    IMG_4573.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4574.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_4575.JPG