Emergency Beacon kinda thing - Advise wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krokonoster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Mods: Not sure where to post this.

Looking for thoughts / tips / advice on a device like this : https://www.indigosat.co.za/product/spot-gen3/

These things seem expensive so don't just want to go and waste money on something useless.

I know NOTHING about these things, just started googling earlier, but essentially after an experience last weekend I started to think this is something I should have since I tend to just get on the bike and go find some gravel roads or just making kak as below....

------------------------------

On my way to Country Trax last weekend the GPS took me a different route.  I never saw Amersfoort nor the easy gravel road to the farm I took last time (which is why I did not worry about riding alone / late),
Instead, the GPS took me a really interesting road full of rocks, sands, and ruts.  Was awesome....until the fooking thing told me to turn in about 2km before the road leading to Country Trax (had no idea)

Long story short, after closing/opening a few gates, with no roads in sight I was lost AF.  For some reason, the GPS showed "roads" which actually been ravines. 

While having fun I was starting to get worried when I had no clue where I am and the sun just disappearing over the horizon. 
With some luck, I managed to back track and eventually got on the road I came from and the GPS came to its senses.

So while this was a memorable experience and really proud of the fact all the training/practice is paying off it really could have turned to shit quick.  Some dude on the farm told me there are aardvark holes big as rooms down there (dunno if he talk shite, he also told me how one control a horse with your mind..so..yeah)  ... if so could have bliksemmed in one or one of the numerous ravines without any cell phone reception  (funny thing is all the time I could see the MTN tower behind country trax house)