08 KLR, Power loss, smothered and flat sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakesZA

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Good day Wild dogs. My name is Jaco, 23, from Bellville. I bought a green 2008 KLR with 46 000Km on, in March this year. I have since been actively part of the KLR clan, especially in the Cape Town "chapter" ( ;D). I commute 46Km daily, on the N1 between Bellville and Woodstock. This is my first post on Wilddogs, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm having an issue with my bike, and it's driving me insane.

The problem started approx 2 months ago. I went on a rather muddy ride with some of the other Cape Clanners, got home, and washed the bike (yeees, I know, it's a KLR, don't wash it) Anyway, after that it hasn't been the same again.

The bike starts easily, and idles smoothly (not 100% smooth, but smooth) When I accelerate, it pulls, but with a big lack of enthusiasm. The bike also sounds different from the muffler side. It reaches the top speed, but it takes long to get there. Or longer than it's supposed to.

Then I drained the carb bowl, cleaned out the jets- and Voila! The bike was running great. The power was back, the sound was normal, happiness! 2 weeks later, problem is back. Repeated carb ritual, nothing.

Then, kind fellow clan member kleinJohn told me to bring the bike to his house so we can have a look. We discovered a red/orange snotty, crumby substance covering the whole inside of the tank. We drained the tank, removed the plastic and aluminium bits and rinsed with pool acid. Out came what looked like freakin grapeskins at the bottom of a wine tank. We repeated the process several times, until the tank was considerably stripped of all evil. After tat, the bike ran great again. On top of that, Keith Pickersgrill (Ultraflight) helped my by dropping my whole crab in his ultrasonic bath, removing all possible poefies.

Over the weekend, on a ride, the problem slowly crept back and now we are back to where we were.

To help with the diagnoses:

2008 with 55 000Kms
Air filter is clean and oiled.
Doo is done
Deep hole issue is fixed
Petcock diaphragm is replaced.
Spark plug is replaced.
Jorg checked the valve clearances about 6000 kms ago
Tried running with fuel cap open, made no difference.
I have an inline fuel filter fitted, which I replaced.
I ran a bottle of valve ease.
I also swore a lot and smoked four Camels consecutively.

This morning slapped my own hand when I caught myself looking at Honda Transalps on Gumtree. I'm not giving up on this bike. I love it and I will fix it. I just need some help in finding the problem.

Thank you for any input in advance.

Kind, but gatvol regards,

Jakes  :thumleft: