Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boots - what to buy....  (Read 3029 times)

Offline NoRush

Re: Boots - what to buy....
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2017, 03:54:29 am »
This changing gears with proper boots is really putting a whole new spin on buying boots. I dont want to do adventure boots, i value my feet and legs to much. So proper stuff it will be.
Maybe even a change of hard ware on the bike ? Rear braking not needed as much, due to dual braking system( there are some nice rear brake lever enlargers) BUT the gear lever is going to be a pain.
Fitting larger off road pegs could make it all better or a lot more difficult.  So the search continues.   :deal:

Offline Zanie

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
I had W2 boots. Then I had 200kg of bike fall on my foot. MX boots would have been cheaper. But never mind the cost. What no-one talks about is the mental agony/frustration of being stuck on crutches, being reliant on others to drive you around, etc. It was one of the worst episodes in my life. I've broken a wrist and a foot. Wrist = one limb not working. Foot = three limbs basically out of action, because your hands are linked to crutches. Stupid things like drinking coffee anywhere outside the kitchen becomes near impossible. Bum-shuffling up stairs if there's no-one to help you. Crawling out of the shower, because trying to hop might end up with you breaking the other foot. The list goes on.

I bought myself some Sidi Crossfires. Sure, they are heavy (2kg each!), but I have tramped through the entire Kolmanskop (ghost town in Namibia) in those boots. Rather that than the alternative. On a later ride, I fell and had the bike come down on the heel of my foot, driving my toe into the ground and pinning me properly. That same situation tore my friend's Achilles tendon. I walked away from it; sore but fine.

It will always be a toss-up between comfort/walkability and protection. You just have to decide where on the risk appetite scale you fall.

Offline Renrew

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
I had W2 boots. Then I had 200kg of bike fall on my foot. MX boots would have been cheaper. But never mind the cost. What no-one talks about is the mental agony/frustration of being stuck on crutches, being reliant on others to drive you around, etc. It was one of the worst episodes in my life. I've broken a wrist and a foot. Wrist = one limb not working. Foot = three limbs basically out of action, because your hands are linked to crutches. Stupid things like drinking coffee anywhere outside the kitchen becomes near impossible. Bum-shuffling up stairs if there's no-one to help you. Crawling out of the shower, because trying to hop might end up with you breaking the other foot. The list goes on.

I bought myself some Sidi Crossfires. Sure, they are heavy (2kg each!), but I have tramped through the entire Kolmanskop (ghost town in Namibia) in those boots. Rather that than the alternative. On a later ride, I fell and had the bike come down on the heel of my foot, driving my toe into the ground and pinning me properly. That same situation tore my friend's Achilles tendon. I walked away from it; sore but fine.

It will always be a toss-up between comfort/walkability and protection. You just have to decide where on the risk appetite scale you fall.

I rest my case - That is why people need to take the advice of guys  with real experience that have been around the block when it comes to riding, kit and bikes so they can avoid having to go through something like this before taking advice. That's why it's called advice.

Good for you, the crossfires are awesome boots. When the time comes to upgrade, Look at SG12's, they are super light ;)

And for the guys so worried about the comfort of proper boots compared to the gardening shoes/adv boots, come on please. It's not like it is unbearable, you can easily do 6 hours of hard riding and standing before it even starts to irritate you.

Saftey of 15% less comfort any day!
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »
I  think it is most important to buy a pair of boots that fit YOU comfortably.
Feet differ in shape and boots that I think feel like slippers may fit like clogs to you.
I had the Sidi Crossfire boots and whilst brilliant for protection, my feet always hurt in them as the toe box is very flat and a bit narrow.
I wore them and soldiered on thinking, agh, its hard boots, they can't be comfortable.
Eventually I was at TracMac and the pretty young sales chicky  :drif:  saw me looking at the Alpinestar Tech 7's and gave me a great price I couldn't refuse.
Bough them and wow, you do actually get comfortable and supportive boots in one package!

Personally I won't buy "Touring" or "Adventure" boots as to me they simply don't offer enough protection.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
Boots - what to buy....
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:55 pm »
Those Tech 7 look like nice boots and fairly priced. What do they cost?

Offline Renrew

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »

Tech 7's are BRILLIANT boots and holy hell they're comfy, like seriously comfy.

They are about R5800
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Fransw

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 08:34:04 pm »

I rest my case - That is why people need to take the advice of guys  with real experience that have been around the block when it comes to riding, kit and bikes so they can avoid having to go through something like this before taking advice. That's why it's called advice.

Good for you, the crossfires are awesome boots. When the time comes to upgrade, Look at SG12's, they are super light ;)

And for the guys so worried about the comfort of proper boots compared to the gardening shoes/adv boots, come on please. It's not like it is unbearable, you can easily do 6 hours of hard riding and standing before it even starts to irritate you.

Saftey of 15% less comfort any day!

Agree, never compromise on boots! Lend some extra cash if you have.. Tech 10's for me..

Offline fat b

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »
Anyone know where to buy axo boots in sa ? Mine served me well , I have "unique" shaped size 13 feet and my old axos fitted well. Sorry for the hijack

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »

Paid R5500.
It's like wearing a pair of sneakers I kid you not.
Flippen happy with them.

Offline Daredevil95

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2017, 08:05:41 am »
I am looking at buying the Alpinestars Corozal Adv boot. Can anyone tell me what they are like to ride with. Read a few online reviews but would also like to hear from someone who actually rides with them.

Online Ganjora

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 08:13:47 am »
This changing gears with proper boots is really putting a whole new spin on buying boots... BUT the gear lever is going to be a pain.
Fitting larger off road pegs could make it all better or a lot more difficult. 

adjust the gear lever one spline up on the shaft.

Offline Bappas

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 04:34:12 pm »
After a beating here for saying Adventure boots is the thing. I just remodeled a bit and found my first pair of MX boots +- 1979. They might have less protection than my current W2 boots!!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline thetime

• Bike: BMW (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 11:18:21 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the market for a pair of boots, but seem to be struggling to find a pair that is comfy'ish and offer decent protection.
So far I've found the Spirit DSAP to be the most comfy of the lot for my feet and they happen to be some of the less expensive ones out there as well.

https://www.spiritmotorcycles.co.za/motorcycle-boots/dsap
Was wondering if anyone uses them or have any information on the protection they offer?

I am quite new when it comes to biking in general and enjoy jeep tracks and exploring new places, where one would not generally go with a motor car, more than extended tar road trips with the odd gravel road mixed in. I am also the only person in my group of friends who does the above, the rest are tar tested with super/road bikes and don't really hold any information on anything other than racing gear. Online seems to only hold "good" reviews on the boots and there's hardly any information (that I can find) about the protection level of these specific boots vs others.

Thanks in advance.
BMW G650GS Sertao

Offline Mr White

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:17 am »
Kinda bummed I missed this thread and bought boots before I read it.

Anyway, from a noob's perspective, I decided to go with something with a little with more protection i.e. mx-style boots and ended up with the Alpinestar Tech 5's.

I also tried on a variety of of other boots - both adventure and mx and what really got me about the more serious mxboots, like the BMW Ralley Pro GS boots, is how big and uncomfortable they felt on my feet. A bit like a robot leg. I fully understand that one gets used to it, but I am new to off-road riding, and even when I wear normal walking boots (that I feel very comfortable in), I still feel a bit uncomfortable/hesitant on the bike on gravel roads - because its completely new to me. So I didn't want to compound the problem by also buying kit that I feel uncomfortable in.

By the way, the BMW Ralley Pro GS boot is a Forma Dominator TX boot, re-banded as a BMW boot. My second pair of boots (hopefully in a long time) will most likely be something a little more in this class/range as I am hoping that I will be a fair bit more comfortable on the bike by then.

My advice (for what its worth), buy the best protective boot you can afford and feel comfortable in.

Offline wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2017, 07:39:09 pm »
Nothing wrong with those Tech 5's.
You get to the point that when you don't wear boots on the bike,like a quick trip to the shop or something, that you really feel quite exposed with them.
Enjoy.

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2017, 03:50:01 pm »
So do any of you commute daily? Do you ride with the MX boots on and then just change at work or something?

This is where I feel adventure boots come in handy if you only do the odd off road ride but on-road mostly. By off road I mean a flat gravel road on a trip or something.

Or would you argue that a maybe entry level MX boots are still better than an adventure boot?

Im busy deciding, there just so much out there its difficult to choose. With a budget of around R4k what would the recommendations be?
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline Renrew

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
Kinda bummed I missed this thread and bought boots before I read it.

Anyway, from a noob's perspective, I decided to go with something with a little with more protection i.e. mx-style boots and ended up with the Alpinestar Tech 5's.

I also tried on a variety of of other boots - both adventure and mx and what really got me about the more serious mxboots, like the BMW Ralley Pro GS boots, is how big and uncomfortable they felt on my feet. A bit like a robot leg. I fully understand that one gets used to it, but I am new to off-road riding, and even when I wear normal walking boots (that I feel very comfortable in), I still feel a bit uncomfortable/hesitant on the bike on gravel roads - because its completely new to me. So I didn't want to compound the problem by also buying kit that I feel uncomfortable in.

By the way, the BMW Ralley Pro GS boot is a Forma Dominator TX boot, re-banded as a BMW boot. My second pair of boots (hopefully in a long time) will most likely be something a little more in this class/range as I am hoping that I will be a fair bit more comfortable on the bike by then.

My advice (for what its worth), buy the best protective boot you can afford and feel comfortable in.

Tech 5ís are good proper boots :thumleft:
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Zanie

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:49 pm »
So do any of you commute daily? Do you ride with the MX boots on and then just change at work or something?

I commute daily and in my full kit: MX boots (Sidi Crossfire 2), neckbrace, etc. Everyone at work calls me "Robocop". I change at work.

The Sidis have lasted remarkably well. I use them for commuting, during 1000s of kms of adventure riding (incl. 2x Namibia trips) and for funduros (I have a dirt bike as well). They look well-used, but nothing has broken - not even a buckle.

Offline Striggs

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2017, 10:20:36 pm »
I have had the following over the years..
Tech 10 Very rigid, just couldn't get used to them after full year of riding national enduro circuit, hurt my feet after every ride
Tech 8 They were ok, but also extremely rigid at first, softened up a bit after a while.. buckles liked to pop open?
Tech 7 Most comfy of Alpinestars, but they started coming apart around the ankles...the stitching not up to scratch.
Tech 7 Enduro  Excellent fit, but that aggressive sole pattern can get you into trouble sometimes.. boot doesn't slide off footpeg fast enough...fall over like a skittle...well I have anyway, on Enduro and adventure bike..
Sidi Crossfire2 Best all round boot for me..
Sidi Crossfire 2SRS not as comfortable as normal Crossfire, wouldn't spend the extra money so that you can swap soles. Did it once and neve again..

My favorite boot by far is the Sidi Crossfire 2
Reason: they are comfortable from day 1, don't loose their shape and are pretty waterproof. (Tech 7 super comfy, but they offer just about zero waterproofing)

With the tech 7 I just never felt I was getting same rigid support and protection of the Sidi and/or tech 8's amd Tech 10's

I have managed to twist my ankle with Tech 7 boot on!!
GSA LC, Ducati Hyperstrada, Vespa 300 sport, KTM 250 xcw

Offline krokonoster

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2017, 11:09:35 pm »
Sidi Crossfire2 Best all round boot for me..
My favorite boot by far is the Sidi Crossfire 2
Reason: they are comfortable from day 1, don't loose their shape and are pretty waterproof. (Tech 7 super comfy, but they offer just about zero waterproofing)

Is it true they are for narrow feet?  Reason asking (not going to buy soon, stuff is expensive) but I wide feet (one even wider than the other..from not wearing the right boot and have it fall it my foot...ironic)

GS Pro boots I use now is ok, but after a really long day off-road/standing my feet are kak sore, swollen. 
Heard LOT of good things about Sidi's but warned they narrow