Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boots - what to buy....  (Read 1282 times)

Offline NoRush

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
Re: Boots - what to buy....
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2017, 03:54:29 am »
This changing gears with proper boots is really putting a whole new spin on buying boots. I dont want to do adventure boots, i value my feet and legs to much. So proper stuff it will be.
Maybe even a change of hard ware on the bike ? Rear braking not needed as much, due to dual braking system( there are some nice rear brake lever enlargers) BUT the gear lever is going to be a pain.
Fitting larger off road pegs could make it all better or a lot more difficult.  So the search continues.   :deal:

Offline Zanie

• Bike: BMW 650GS / Dakar / Sert„o
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
I had W2 boots. Then I had 200kg of bike fall on my foot. MX boots would have been cheaper. But never mind the cost. What no-one talks about is the mental agony/frustration of being stuck on crutches, being reliant on others to drive you around, etc. It was one of the worst episodes in my life. I've broken a wrist and a foot. Wrist = one limb not working. Foot = three limbs basically out of action, because your hands are linked to crutches. Stupid things like drinking coffee anywhere outside the kitchen becomes near impossible. Bum-shuffling up stairs if there's no-one to help you. Crawling out of the shower, because trying to hop might end up with you breaking the other foot. The list goes on.

I bought myself some Sidi Crossfires. Sure, they are heavy (2kg each!), but I have tramped through the entire Kolmanskop (ghost town in Namibia) in those boots. Rather that than the alternative. On a later ride, I fell and had the bike come down on the heel of my foot, driving my toe into the ground and pinning me properly. That same situation tore my friend's Achilles tendon. I walked away from it; sore but fine.

It will always be a toss-up between comfort/walkability and protection. You just have to decide where on the risk appetite scale you fall.

Online Renrew

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
I had W2 boots. Then I had 200kg of bike fall on my foot. MX boots would have been cheaper. But never mind the cost. What no-one talks about is the mental agony/frustration of being stuck on crutches, being reliant on others to drive you around, etc. It was one of the worst episodes in my life. I've broken a wrist and a foot. Wrist = one limb not working. Foot = three limbs basically out of action, because your hands are linked to crutches. Stupid things like drinking coffee anywhere outside the kitchen becomes near impossible. Bum-shuffling up stairs if there's no-one to help you. Crawling out of the shower, because trying to hop might end up with you breaking the other foot. The list goes on.

I bought myself some Sidi Crossfires. Sure, they are heavy (2kg each!), but I have tramped through the entire Kolmanskop (ghost town in Namibia) in those boots. Rather that than the alternative. On a later ride, I fell and had the bike come down on the heel of my foot, driving my toe into the ground and pinning me properly. That same situation tore my friend's Achilles tendon. I walked away from it; sore but fine.

It will always be a toss-up between comfort/walkability and protection. You just have to decide where on the risk appetite scale you fall.

I rest my case - That is why people need to take the advice of guys  with real experience that have been around the block when it comes to riding, kit and bikes so they can avoid having to go through something like this before taking advice. That's why it's called advice.

Good for you, the crossfires are awesome boots. When the time comes to upgrade, Look at SG12's, they are super light ;)

And for the guys so worried about the comfort of proper boots compared to the gardening shoes/adv boots, come on please. It's not like it is unbearable, you can easily do 6 hours of hard riding and standing before it even starts to irritate you.

Saftey of 15% less comfort any day!
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline wobbler

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »
I  think it is most important to buy a pair of boots that fit YOU comfortably.
Feet differ in shape and boots that I think feel like slippers may fit like clogs to you.
I had the Sidi Crossfire boots and whilst brilliant for protection, my feet always hurt in them as the toe box is very flat and a bit narrow.
I wore them and soldiered on thinking, agh, its hard boots, they can't be comfortable.
Eventually I was at TracMac and the pretty young sales chicky  :drif:  saw me looking at the Alpinestar Tech 7's and gave me a great price I couldn't refuse.
Bough them and wow, you do actually get comfortable and supportive boots in one package!

Personally I won't buy "Touring" or "Adventure" boots as to me they simply don't offer enough protection.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
Boots - what to buy....
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:55 pm »
Those Tech 7 look like nice boots and fairly priced. What do they cost?

Online Renrew

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »

Tech 7's are BRILLIANT boots and holy hell they're comfy, like seriously comfy.

They are about R5800
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Fransw

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 08:34:04 pm »

I rest my case - That is why people need to take the advice of guys  with real experience that have been around the block when it comes to riding, kit and bikes so they can avoid having to go through something like this before taking advice. That's why it's called advice.

Good for you, the crossfires are awesome boots. When the time comes to upgrade, Look at SG12's, they are super light ;)

And for the guys so worried about the comfort of proper boots compared to the gardening shoes/adv boots, come on please. It's not like it is unbearable, you can easily do 6 hours of hard riding and standing before it even starts to irritate you.

Saftey of 15% less comfort any day!

Agree, never compromise on boots! Lend some extra cash if you have.. Tech 10's for me..

Offline fat b

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »
Anyone know where to buy axo boots in sa ? Mine served me well , I have "unique" shaped size 13 feet and my old axos fitted well. Sorry for the hijack

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline wobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »

Paid R5500.
It's like wearing a pair of sneakers I kid you not.
Flippen happy with them.