Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buying bike in Uganda - then to SA - then UK  (Read 561 times)

Offline stuartlm

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Buying bike in Uganda - then to SA - then UK
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:49 pm »
Hi,

I am an Australian currently in Uganda, looking to buy a bike to ride down to Sth Africa, then to London over the next 11 months. I'm currently looking at a 2003 Africa Twin and a 1986 XL600RMG, but happy to look at anything else if it's out there.

I would love some advice/recommendations on:
1. a local Ugandan agent/helper to assist with ownership/rego transfer (I need to get the rego in my name in order to get a Carnet);
2. getting a Carnet from the Ugandan Automobile Association;
3. a local mechanic familiar with Honda motorcycles;
4. the wisdom (or not) of attempting the above trip on a 30 year old Honda XL600RMG!;
5. anything else relevant!

Cheers
Stuart

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Buying bike in Uganda - then to SA - then UK
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:13 am »
Stuart I would buy in South Africa and then ride back up.
More bikes to choose from in SA and think getting a carnet could be easier too.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ask for forgiveness, not permission
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:02:41 am »
Stuart I would buy in South Africa and then ride back up.
More bikes to choose from in SA and think getting a carnet could be easier too.

Agree completely with Chris.

Nothing wrong - probably better - to ride a 30 yr old machine than a newer more complex (read: electronic) machine.  Just make sure you buy well and give a thorough overhaul.
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline stuartlm

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:35:43 am »
I agree that the variety of bikes on offer in South Africa is likely to be much better! However, I understand that there are difficulties for foreigners without residency to get registration transferred. I understand that you have to have a temporary residency permit and be able to demonstrate a lease... Also, the SA AA will automatically require the 100% deposit if you aren't a resident.

I am travelling with a friend who has a Land Rover Defender and I want to minimise putting him out as well.

I also tried to buy a bike in Tanzania and Kenya and there were big problems with the red tape. So I am now more concerned about this aspect, than which bike.

Let me know if I've missed something though, or if I've misunderstood the SA process!

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »
An industrial size jar of Vaseline when it comes to border crossings. Sorry, I'm so prejudiced against inter Africa travel just because of all the official border scams, but don't let that put you off.

Sent from my TECNO-N9 using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:05:39 pm »
The 650 is simpler, the AT nicer.

Sent from my TECNO-N9 using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline katana

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:34:31 pm »
I agree that the variety of bikes on offer in South Africa is likely to be much better! However, I understand that there are difficulties for foreigners without residency to get registration transferred. I understand that you have to have a temporary residency permit and be able to demonstrate a lease... Also, the SA AA will automatically require the 100% deposit if you aren't a resident.

I am travelling with a friend who has a Land Rover Defender and I want to minimise putting him out as well.

I also tried to buy a bike in Tanzania and Kenya and there were big problems with the red tape. So I am now more concerned about this aspect, than which bike.

Let me know if I've missed something though, or if I've misunderstood the SA process!
A Spanish mate bought an old Africa Twin in South Africa last December.  He registered it in his name.  Apparently all you need is a proper photo ID AND a fixed local address.  There is a brit in Cape Town offering the 'service' of providing you with a fixed address, but he isn't cheap.  I assume the address is a requirement for fines etc.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain