Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Botswana border crossing - Pond Drift?  (Read 955 times)

Offline Werner747

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Botswana border crossing - Pond Drift?
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »
Hi,

We are planning a Botswana trip. Usually we trailer to Groblersbrug border post (We leave our car and trailer at Big Fig inn just before the border), and cross the border on the bikes.
As this border crossing seems to take most traffic going north in Africa, after the problems at Beitbridge, the border crossing now takes hours instead of minutes in previous years.

I would like to cross at PondDrift, as this seems like a very small crossing.You seems to be directly in the Northern Thuli Game reserve when crossing?
So my question is, are you allowed to ride there on motorcycles?
Also, any leads on places on the SA side, as close as possible to the borderpost, where we can camp, and park the car and trailer for the week?

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks, Werner.

Offline Vansafrica

Re: Botswana border crossing - Pond Drift?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »
Yes you can ride in Tuli on the main roads but make sure Limpopo is dry as there is no bridge you have to cross through the river bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WWW.VANSAFRICA.COM

2005 BMW R 1200GS
2016 KTM 300 XCW

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »
What about platjan just south of there and you can leave your car in alldays at "AT se gat "
FTS

Offline Werner747

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 02:40:14 pm »
What about platjan just south of there and you can leave your car in alldays at "AT se gat "
Thanks, yes we are considering Platjan and Zanzibar as well, I think I just had my heart set on Ponddrift after seeing pics such as below.

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 03:17:59 pm »
This explains it, was in October when the river was dry. Also bear in mind the riverbed at Salomon's wall where the sand is quite thick. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:24:53 pm by Jors Troelie »

Offline Werner747

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »
This explains it, was in October when the river was dry. Also bear in mind the riverbed at Salomon's wall where the sand is quite thick. 

Thank you, yes, it will also be end of September, early October.
So there is no issues riding through Thuli reserver from there on? As the people at  Ratho bushcamp on SA side tells us that Motorcycles are not allowed?

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »

Thank you, yes, it will also be end of September, early October.
So there is no issues riding through Thuli reserver from there on? As the people at  Ratho bushcamp on SA side tells us that Motorcycles are not allowed?

My trip was 2 years ago, in at Pontdrif, through Tuli and out at Zanzibar. My route hugged the Limpopo, and I seem to remember that I also came to the conclusion that you cannot ride in a northerly direction from Ponttdrif, as that is a concession area, hence my riding west. Maybe someone else can confirm it with more certainty.
Also met other Wilddogs along the way, and no problems from anyone, except for the Botswana border official that wanted to know why I don't carry a spare wheel and a front number plate.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:01:33 pm by Jors Troelie »

Offline Werner747

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
Mmmm, cant seem to find any place to camp close to any of the smaller border crossings, such as Platjan, PontDrif, Zanzibar, or even Stokpoort.

Any leads on places on the SA side, as close as possible to any of the abovementioned borderposts, where we can camp for two nights, and park the car and trailer for the week?

Offline Dunnes

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Name: Dickie Talma
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:08 pm »
Here is my swaer's (Piet) RR where they crossed at Pontdrif with the bike: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=158587.40
I don't know what the setup is nowadays, but it looks like there is a steep set of stairs to climb on the SA side. But Jors Troelie was through there so its possible

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:47:29 am »
You can leave your car and trailer right at the border in a secure area on the South African side. If the river is in flood you can take your bikes across on the cable car, one at a time. I know there is camping lower down the Limpopo. Lovely area for sand riding. What a lot of people do not know is that you can ride right through the Mashatu Game Reserve as long as you stick to the main gravel road. It is a servitude road.  Very technical at one uphill with a couple of dry river crossings on the way. Just watch out for very big herds of elephants up to 200 at a time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:21:20 am by schalk vd merwe »
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp