TA 650 strip down and going over...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Good day Dogs...

So, let me say by saying this: I have pretty limited technical skills, but enjoy getting my hands dirty and keen to get to know my bike.

After 10 years of use (occassional abuse), and 42k kms I felt the old girl needed to be stripped down and issues that have been bugging me a long time sorted, with possible improvements done along the way. I dont have a time frame for the work but would prefer to get it all done and sorted by end of year to allow me to get back on the bike. Obviously spending masses of money on a bike not worth much sound stupid, but I dig the bike and not ready to replace it yet. Just want to breathe some new life into it, and get a few more years of fun from it before I move on.

I have thus far stripped the bike down leaving the electrics in place (not going to go messing about there), and I have no intention of taking the engine out just because that is beyond my technical scope.

Things I have noted to be done so far:
1. The dust, grime and water has ruined most bolts and fasteners. These will all need to be replaced as possible
2. Both radiators have alot of surface rust on the bottom portion. I intend to find out if they can be refurbished and repainted
3. There are numerous areas of the frame where the paint has been rubbed off, with some minimal surface rust that needs sorting. Would have preferred to strip it down completely and painted but the thought of taking everything apart (and getting it back together) is daunting.
4. Various  forums have recommended removing the PAIR system. The cat has already been removed, and it has a Scorch slipon fitted. Always had issues with the bike backfiring on releasing the throttle, and some have suggested the PAIR system can be the cause.
5. The welding done to join up the exhaust system after cat removal is quite shocking, and everything is horribly rusted. This needs to be sorted.
6. The brakes have always been a weak spot. The are spongy and do not inspire confidence. And recently the one front disc has warped. Therefore the front discs need replacing, brakes bled properly, and I am considering replacing the hoses with braided hoses.

I have a already have both front and rear suspension redone, the carbs cleaned, new chain and sprockets, and a decent service was done a short while ago.

Now comes the questions.....
There are tons of seemingly unnecessary plastic and covers everywhere on the bike, and I am itching to tidy everything up. This will also make it so much easier to actually reach the important bits without disassembling the entire bike everytime.
(I even had the crazy idea to get rid of the fairings altogether, stick a single headlight on it to make a scrambler-type bike)😝

Should I commit to a longer (more expensive and frustrating) process of making this the base for a project bike? Or should I simply give a good shake down with minor improvements?

I will leave a photo for an opnion....🤔Its a 700 but you get the idea

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 333