Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike SA?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re: Bike SA?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »
Browsed a copy of the new BarkEssay on the shelf the other day, and it was definitely different in a good way. More 'meat and veg' content to digest, and fewer pics of rally goers, and the backs of their jackets.

I'll watch out for the next one, and if they keep it up I might even consider actually buying a copy.  :o :biggrin:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 07:38:16 pm »
My neef se my dat die Portmans, bekendes in bike-kringe, nou in beheer is van Barkessay.

Groot verbetering, maar kak-lelike Agusta op die voorblad.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:56 pm »
Browsed a copy of the new BarkEssay on the shelf the other day, and it was definitely different in a good way. More 'meat and veg' content to digest, and fewer pics of rally goers, and the backs of their jackets.

I'll watch out for the next one, and if they keep it up I might even consider actually buying a copy.  :o :biggrin:

Haven't even looked at them for years for the very reasons you mention here. Glad to hear....and the one dude who was synonomus( spell?) with the mag with the same name as mine, gives me a pain... ::)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »

Haven't even looked at them for years for the very reasons you mention here. Glad to hear....and the one dude who was synonomus( spell?) with the mag with the same name as mine, gives me a pain... ::)

And he has no idea who you are, just like everyone else.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
 :sip:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:59:28 pm »
I am glad its still in print, new mag looks good, Bark Essay has done a lot for motorcycling in SA, I have copies from 70s I browsw through them every few years as well :thumleft:
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

The following users thanked this post: 2-Stroke

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 10:41:22 pm »
I am glad its still in print, new mag looks good, Bark Essay has done a lot for motorcycling in SA, I have copies from 70s I browsw through them every few years as well :thumleft:

Best read on the throne... :)

I give all my old bike & car mags to the local barber shops.....it's a public service really...
 ;D

Offline Bensien

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:28 am »
In countries where magazines have a much bigger circulation, they can generate a lot more advertising revenue and therefore have more editorial content. They can also target specific market e.g. sports bikes, tourers, cruisers or even specific brands.

In South Africa, a bike magazine has to cater for everyone: the schoolboy with his Chinese 125, the commuter, the DS rider, the tourer, the leather, denim and tattoo brigade, the WSB wannabe and the company executive with his R500 000 customs bike, and do this on a limited budget. There have been many attempts at bringing out a more “professionally” crafted magazine, and they have all failed. Bike & Track, Superfiets, Motorcycling SA, Redline, Topbike, 2-Wheels etc. etc. Even Bike SA has tried to launch niche market editions, like an Afrikaans version and an off-road oriented one, and they failed.

With a magazine like Bike SA, you take what you need and you leave the rest. I can’t believe that anyone with an interest in bikes will read the whole magazine and find absolutely nothing of value in it. I have been buying it since the 1970’s and some months I would spend hours going through it and at other times I’d finish it in a couple of minutes. I also get overseas magazines like Motoren & Toerisme, and they are definitely in another class, but they also cost three times as much and a lot of the content is irrelevant to us.

One thing you can never accuse Simon of, is that the magazine was purely a business venture. He lives for bikes and the magazine has always been an extension of the passion.

I hope the new Bike SA survives. If they change the formula in order to cater for the more discerning reader, they might lose the plebs like me that give them critical mass.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline pwt

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 11:59:34 am »
Bark SA has in my opinion always been the printed version of facebook for the motorcycle fraternity, and even though I am not a facebook type person, I always enjoyed the coverage of events and rallies in the magazine
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:00:46 pm by pwt »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 12:08:09 pm »
In countries where magazines have a much bigger circulation, they can generate a lot more advertising revenue and therefore have more editorial content. They can also target specific market e.g. sports bikes, tourers, cruisers or even specific brands.

In South Africa, a bike magazine has to cater for everyone: the schoolboy with his Chinese 125, the commuter, the DS rider, the tourer, the leather, denim and tattoo brigade, the WSB wannabe and the company executive with his R500 000 customs bike, and do this on a limited budget. There have been many attempts at bringing out a more “professionally” crafted magazine, and they have all failed. Bike & Track, Superfiets, Motorcycling SA, Redline, Topbike, 2-Wheels etc. etc. Even Bike SA has tried to launch niche market editions, like an Afrikaans version and an off-road oriented one, and they failed.

With a magazine like Bike SA, you take what you need and you leave the rest. I can’t believe that anyone with an interest in bikes will read the whole magazine and find absolutely nothing of value in it. I have been buying it since the 1970’s and some months I would spend hours going through it and at other times I’d finish it in a couple of minutes. I also get overseas magazines like Motoren & Toerisme, and they are definitely in another class, but they also cost three times as much and a lot of the content is irrelevant to us.

One thing you can never accuse Simon of, is that the magazine was purely a business venture. He lives for bikes and the magazine has always been an extension of the passion.

I hope the new Bike SA survives. If they change the formula in order to cater for the more discerning reader, they might lose the plebs like me that give them critical mass.

Yes, biking for Simon was never a put-on, he lived it, and seems to still do.

I don't know about that Donovan though. :pot:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
Bark SA has in my opinion always been the printed version of facebook for the motorcycle fraternity, and even though I am not a facebook type person, I always enjoyed the coverage of events and rallies in the magazine
If only they had better looking woman.....and one grizzled looking oke looks the same as the next. I guess that's why pictures of  colours on their backs is so popular...

Offline Bensien

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »

Donovan is no slouch on a bike. He once took the SA BOTT’s title, but it was always a lot of fun in the pits to hear his mechanic rant every time he had to re-adjust the bike’s suspension in order to keep up with the rider’s ever changing weight.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 01:10:08 pm »
If only they had better looking woman.....and one grizzled looking oke looks the same as the next. I guess that's why pictures of  colours on their backs is so popular...

:imaposer: :imaposer:

No man, the many pictures of grizzled men from behind is for those lovers of plumber's cracks!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:10 pm »

Donovan is no slouch on a bike. He once took the SA BOTT’s title, but it was always a lot of fun in the pits to hear his mechanic rant every time he had to re-adjust the bike’s suspension in order to keep up with the rider’s ever changing weight.

I'll stick my neck out and straight up say that there is no one on this forum ( except if there is a very good  National Superbike Racer lurking here ) that will stay with Donovan on a superbike on either a track or in the mountains.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »

That's only because his dad will moer you if you stick your neck out  :)
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Draad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »
Dis nog steeds toss
Hulle probeer maar ja
Is wat dit is

My fok hier stem ek en jy vir die eerste keer saam  :imaposer: :imaposer: BARK SA is die kakste mag onder die son
Sies jou VARK !!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

That's only because his dad will moer you if you stick your neck out  :)

Nah, Simon's chilled bud.

The following users thanked this post: Jors Troelie

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »

Donovan, secretly, has no idea how to ride a bike. It's all photoshop.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 02:01:26 pm »

Nonsense!  I personally saw you wobble around on a little red bike a few times.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »

Nonsense!  I personally saw you wobble around on a little red bike a few times.

A V Twin perhaps :lol8: