Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike SA?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Bike SA?
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
In countries where magazines have a much bigger circulation, they can generate a lot more advertising revenue and therefore have more editorial content. They can also target specific market e.g. sports bikes, tourers, cruisers or even specific brands.

In South Africa, a bike magazine has to cater for everyone: the schoolboy with his Chinese 125, the commuter, the DS rider, the tourer, the leather, denim and tattoo brigade, the WSB wannabe and the company executive with his R500 000 customs bike, and do this on a limited budget. There have been many attempts at bringing out a more “professionally” crafted magazine, and they have all failed. Bike & Track, Superfiets, Motorcycling SA, Redline, Topbike, 2-Wheels etc. etc. Even Bike SA has tried to launch niche market editions, like an Afrikaans version and an off-road oriented one, and they failed.

With a magazine like Bike SA, you take what you need and you leave the rest. I can’t believe that anyone with an interest in bikes will read the whole magazine and find absolutely nothing of value in it. I have been buying it since the 1970’s and some months I would spend hours going through it and at other times I’d finish it in a couple of minutes. I also get overseas magazines like Motoren & Toerisme, and they are definitely in another class, but they also cost three times as much and a lot of the content is irrelevant to us.

One thing you can never accuse Simon of, is that the magazine was purely a business venture. He lives for bikes and the magazine has always been an extension of the passion.

I hope the new Bike SA survives. If they change the formula in order to cater for the more discerning reader, they might lose the plebs like me that give them critical mass.

Yes, biking for Simon was never a put-on, he lived it, and seems to still do.

I don't know about that Donovan though. :pot:

Donovan, secretly, has no idea how to ride a bike. It's all photoshop.

Nonsense!  I personally saw you wobble around on a little red bike a few times.

A V Twin perhaps :lol8:

You saw him as well?   >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 02:21:07 pm »
In countries where magazines have a much bigger circulation, they can generate a lot more advertising revenue and therefore have more editorial content. They can also target specific market e.g. sports bikes, tourers, cruisers or even specific brands.

In South Africa, a bike magazine has to cater for everyone: the schoolboy with his Chinese 125, the commuter, the DS rider, the tourer, the leather, denim and tattoo brigade, the WSB wannabe and the company executive with his R500 000 customs bike, and do this on a limited budget. There have been many attempts at bringing out a more “professionally” crafted magazine, and they have all failed. Bike & Track, Superfiets, Motorcycling SA, Redline, Topbike, 2-Wheels etc. etc. Even Bike SA has tried to launch niche market editions, like an Afrikaans version and an off-road oriented one, and they failed.

With a magazine like Bike SA, you take what you need and you leave the rest. I can’t believe that anyone with an interest in bikes will read the whole magazine and find absolutely nothing of value in it. I have been buying it since the 1970’s and some months I would spend hours going through it and at other times I’d finish it in a couple of minutes. I also get overseas magazines like Motoren & Toerisme, and they are definitely in another class, but they also cost three times as much and a lot of the content is irrelevant to us.

One thing you can never accuse Simon of, is that the magazine was purely a business venture. He lives for bikes and the magazine has always been an extension of the passion.

I hope the new Bike SA survives. If they change the formula in order to cater for the more discerning reader, they might lose the plebs like me that give them critical mass.

Yes, biking for Simon was never a put-on, he lived it, and seems to still do.

I don't know about that Donovan though. :pot:

Sure, looked very uncertain of himself .......all over the place  :laughing4:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 02:25:21 pm »

Indeed, but he seemed to be learning, albeit rather slowly.   :biggrin:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Sabre

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 08:59:06 pm »
I probably bought a total of five BikeSA magazines over the last 10 years. And scanned through them fairly quickly

I bought the latest one, and read it from cover to cover. I will buy it every month from now onwards
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 04:28:51 pm »

Indeed, but he seemed to be learning, albeit rather slowly.   :biggrin:

But at least he is learning :thumleft: Maybe he should visit Welkom a bit more  >:D

The following users thanked this post: 2-Stroke

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2017, 05:22:26 pm »

Thanks for that. Yay! Someone with brains!

Between you and me, I'm having good laugh at some of these assholes. Don't tell them, but the new owners of Bike SA took over all the contributors also, and that's who they have been. These are exactly same writers the mag has always had. Yet suddenly, as soon as these people hear that there are new owners, the mag is suddenly good.  :imaposer:

I do hope they carry on reading though. I really hope the mag continues the same success it's always had. Maybe even more.

Offline emperor zog

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2017, 09:07:57 pm »
Actually arsehole it has changed, and for the better. Much better.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 04:01:06 pm »

No. It looks different but the stories are exactly the same. Go check the contributors. They're the same people writing the same stories. 

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 04:08:03 pm »

No. It looks different but the stories are exactly the same. Go check the contributors. They're the same people writing the same stories.

Then these contributors must have had their asses kicked to perform better.  Even the different look is an improvement.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »

Then these contributors must have had their asses kicked to perform better.  Even the different look is an improvement.

No. They're exactly the same. If people had bothered to read the actual stories they would have seen that before, but mostly they flipped through it in 30 sec and then jumped on their keyboard to say how kak it is. Believe me, I've been putting up with it from some people (most have been really nice) on this forum since it started and kept telling people that same thing. You can imagine how annoying that has been. Now, they hear that it has new owners and suddenly try actually reading it and seen that the stories are good.

In terms of looks, the designer has been trying harder (and I've ragged him about it) since his family took it over, and that has helped, but much of that is also down to there being less ads. This is not the new owner's fault nor is it a problem with the circulation - that's still three times higher than the next print mag - but rather that none of the dealers have money any more. Times are tough.

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

No. They're exactly the same. If people had bothered to read the actual stories they would have seen that before, but mostly they flipped through it in 30 sec and then jumped on their keyboard to say how kak it is. Believe me, I've been putting up with it from some people (most have been really nice) on this forum since it started and kept telling people that same thing. You can imagine how annoying that has been. Now, they hear that it has new owners and suddenly try actually reading it and seen that the stories are good.

In terms of looks, the designer has been trying harder (and I've ragged him about it) since his family took it over, and that has helped, but much of that is also down to there being less ads. This is not the new owner's fault nor is it a problem with the circulation - that's still three times higher than the next print mag - but rather that none of the dealers have money any more. Times are tough.

Some ous just bitch and moan out of habit Donovan - let them read their  "intelligent glossaries " ( whatever those are )

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
Donovan, what you are saying is that none of the critics of BikeSa ever read any story in it, but the moment the new guys took over they did? ;)

I received the "new" BikeSA while in hospital, and I tell you now, there is a huge difference between your old mag and the new one.

Stop making excuses.

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:01 pm »
Donovan, what you are saying is that none of the critics of BikeSa ever read any story in it, but the moment the new guys took over they did? ;)

I received the "new" BikeSA while in hospital, and I tell you now, there is a huge difference between your old mag and the new one.

Stop making excuses.

that was the drugs , everything is beter with drugs
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »

............... that was the drugs , everything is better with drugs

I think he's got you there Dan. At least if you were flying with Bike SA in hand it means you weren't holding your dick.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:34:25 pm by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
I fail to see the problem if there is a perception of the mag having better content, look & feel to it. One expects that when a transition happens.
It's a regular purchase now for me.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Bensien

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:43 am »

It must be the first time that I’ve ever been accused of having brains. Ask Matt about the idiot on the souped up Hayabusa at the first 2Wheels Ultimate Road test at Gerotek. The one who thought he could race the pros on 600’s round the dynamic handling track  and ended 50 metres deep into the bushes at the end of the straight.

BTW, I gave your dad a 1960's 50cc Honda 4-stroke bike once. He told me he used to keep it on the pool table.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:26:29 am by Bensien »
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 08:10:05 am »

It must be the first time that I’ve ever been accused of having brains. Ask Matt about the idiot on the souped up Hayabusa at the first 2Wheels Ultimate Road test at Gerotek. The one who thought he could race the pros on 600’s round the dynamic handling track  and ended 50 metres deep into the bushes at the end of the straight.

BTW, I gave your dad a 1960's 50cc Honda 4-stroke bike once. He told me he used to keep it on the pool table.

I remember that. We used to play pool around it.

Offline MickeyT

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 09:25:31 am »
I stopped reading Bike SA when half the content was pics of rallies with a bunch of overweight, hairy okes hugging each other and clutching a brannas and Coke in plastic glasses. In every pic. Looking forward to go and buy another copy to see the transformation.
Oh, and even if it is the same contributors, it is not to say they will write the same as before. 
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." – Philippe Halsman

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:41 am »

............... that was the drugs , everything is better with drugs

I think he's got you there Dan. At least if you were flying with Bike SA in hand it means you weren't holding your dick.

This is the point......with the old BikeSA holding my dick would have been far preferable. ;)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:40 am »
There was an average of between 10 and 15 of rallies every month. Sometime more when there was a really big event. Not half.  I wonder what we did with the other 113 pages?

The new owners haven't changed the content. They can choose which stories they use but they are choosing the best ones, like we did. Alan Catchart syndicates to 85 mags all over the world. You print whatever he sends. The same with Mike Scott and Doug Jackson. And Howie Zowie, Charley Cooper, Hein Eksteen and all of the others are writing exactly how they always have.

Dan, I see your XT is getting too much for you to handle. May I suggest a scooter next time?