Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike SA?  (Read 4290 times)

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: Bike SA?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »
There was an average of between 10 and 15 of rallies every month. Sometime more when there was a really big event. Not half.  I wonder what we did with the other 113 pages?

The new owners haven't changed the content. They can choose which stories they use but they are choosing the best ones, like we did. Alan Catchart syndicates to 85 mags all over the world. You print whatever he sends. The same with Mike Scott and Doug Jackson. And Howie Zowie, Charley Cooper, Hein Eksteen and all of the others are writing exactly how they always have.

Dan, I see your XT is getting too much for you to handle. May I suggest a scooter next time?

Don.... the road of disagreeing with 2SD is a rocky road ...... Me, as a staunch supporter of BikeSA must agree that the new mag is better.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:

Donovan, whether I should be on an XT or a scooter does'nt change the fact that the vast majority on this thread sees the "new" BikeSa as being far better than the old one. :thumleft:

Please do not view my opinion as a personal attack, you had your chance with BikeSA. :ricky:

Offline Buddy

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 08:09:24 am »

I concur, the new Bike SA is better. It is less haphazard and cluttered.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Sabre

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 09:34:27 pm »
Actually arsehole it has changed, and for the better. Much better.

No. It looks different but the stories are exactly the same. Go check the contributors. They're the same people writing the same stories.

Then these contributors must have had their asses kicked to perform better.  Even the different look is an improvement.

No. They're exactly the same. If people had bothered to read the actual stories they would have seen that before, but mostly they flipped through it in 30 sec and then jumped on their keyboard to say how kak it is. Believe me, I've been putting up with it from some people (most have been really nice) on this forum since it started and kept telling people that same thing. You can imagine how annoying that has been. Now, they hear that it has new owners and suddenly try actually reading it and seen that the stories are good.

In terms of looks, the designer has been trying harder (and I've ragged him about it) since his family took it over, and that has helped, but much of that is also down to there being less ads. This is not the new owner's fault nor is it a problem with the circulation - that's still three times higher than the next print mag - but rather that none of the dealers have money any more. Times are tough.

I can't really comment as I have been a very infrequent reader of BikeSA. But I cannot recall seeing such in depth technical articles like the ones on the stillborn BMW R1 and the Exactweld TZ250 in the about 5 mags that I bought the last 10 years

I found the above 2 articles very good, and the rest of the magazine also very informative. I like the look of the articles, they don't look like cut-n-paste bits that have been joined together

As I said earlier, I will become a regular reader from now on
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2017, 05:51:52 am »
 :laughing4:
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
Maybe it was time to reinvent and refurbish the mag and bring new/fresh energy to it.

People fear change, but change is not always a bad thing.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:30 am »
I have always enjoyed and still do BikeSA, been buying it for years on a monthly basis....  Must say the new mag did have a different feel to it, but came across more ito font and layout than content as the regulars were still in there like Nick Yell; Howie, Mike; Charlie etc. Must say the BM article was top notch ito tech and probably the best in BarkSA in a long time... if not ever

Simon has and will leave a BIG legacy in biking in SA......... he has done a lot to promote biking and grow the love of bikes in SA.... :)

I do buy a few bike mags each month and each has its own twist and flavour........ some you read longer than others, but I enjoy each for what it is as they all bring a different perspective ;)

Must admit I really enjoy Howie's articles in BikeSA though, he has to be one of the best writers in SA... :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Buddy

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2017, 02:14:49 pm »

Now I bought my first Bike SA way back in 1976, while in Matric, and when Simon was still racing a BMW on the track. There were regular reports on national track and MX racing in those days. The current article on the BMW was first published in Bike SA around 10/15 years ago if I recall correctly.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2017, 02:20:48 pm »
Picked up the latest edition this morning. By which I mean, actually bought it!  >:D

Say what you will, anyone who reckons there hasn't been a great improvement in the ratio of  'reading' to 'padding' must be wearing some very large blinkers.  :sip:

I wouldn't have forked over my money otherwise.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

The following users thanked this post: Buddy, Pistonpete, ETS, Sabre