Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Can I cross borders with only a learners licence?  (Read 545 times)

Offline mercury5863

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
Can I cross borders with only a learners licence?
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:21:17 am »
I would like to do a Lesotho trip in the near future and also some of our neighbouring countries later on.

However, I've only got a learners licence at the moment.

Can I ride in Lesotho with only a South African learners licence? What about Namibia and Botswana?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. - Plato

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
Re: Can I cross borders with only a learners licence?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:42:11 pm »
Nope, that is what I was told!
My broker also said that my insurance will not pay if I am in a neighbouring country with a learners.
Get your drivers and be sure, you should also get a lower insurance premium with a drivers.
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline 777

• Bike: Honda XR650L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
I would like to do a Lesotho trip in the near future and also some of our neighbouring countries later on.

Can I ride in Lesotho with only a South African learners licence? What about Namibia and Botswana?
Was in Lestho two weeks ago, both sides did not license
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:11 am »

Was in Lestho two weeks ago, both sides did not license

Won't be a problem until something goes wrong. Then you will be in seriously deep kak.

Rather get the full license.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline mercury5863

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:29 am »
Was hoping to take the chance but from the sound of it I think I'll rather go get my licence 1st.
Always better to cover your ass!  :patch:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. - Plato

Offline RobD

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:13 am »
I have many clients going cross boarder with a learners license and enjoy full cover..... Why would you not?

The neighboring country may not recognize the license but your cover is still in place...

Offline mercury5863

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »
Well I'm not really worry about insurance as I don't have any yet. Which is probably a bad idea, and I topic for a topic for another discussion.

I'm more worried about the law, as in being denied entry to the country or being pulled over and asked to produce a licence.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 07:11:25 am »
I have not been asked for a license in Lesotho, but certainly have in all the other neighboring countries at road blocks, of which there are always a few. order posts are not the problem, its the roadblocks....

We managed to get a International Drivers Licesnse & Carnet from the AA years ago when we only had learners, and travel through Zim, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya & back on learners years ago - just used the IDL at the roadblocks...  :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ozranger

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:34 pm »
I have not been asked for a license in Lesotho, but certainly have in all the other neighboring countries at road blocks, of which there are always a few. order posts are not the problem, its the roadblocks....

We managed to get a International Drivers Licesnse & Carnet from the AA years ago when we only had learners, and travel through Zim, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya & back on learners years ago - just used the IDL at the roadblocks...  :imaposer:

Yup the international driver license only doesn't show you are a learner so you can get away with it. Pretty sure I did it at some point.

Offline Dunnes

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:12 pm »
Get your drivers and be sure, you should also get a lower insurance premium with a drivers.

My premium actually went up a bit. They explained that they are covering two persons now. Eish

Offline RobD

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:31 am »

My premium actually went up a bit. They explained that they are covering two persons now. Eish

Sounds like a clever bunch over there..... :imaposer:

Offline TheBear

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:25 pm »

Change your insurer.  They are covering the bike, not the people on it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:19:47 pm by TheBear »
.#BRADICAL!