Practical problem solving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eberhard

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Moto Guzzi (all models)
My 1977 R80/7 was standing unused for quite a while. Today I decided to fire her up. I gave the battery, which had been disconnected, a charge and proceeded to start the bike. She fired only on one cylinder, the left one. The right carb also flooded.

Solving problem of flooding:

Because the bike had stood for quite a while I gathered that the cork gasket had dried out. I can order new ones (more advisable option), but that costs money and takes time. I needed the bike tomorrow. Alternatively I can wet the gasket and in doing so rejuvenate it and give it a new lease on life. Not a guaranteed option, but it has worked before. So I removed the carb bucket, spilled plenty of petrol on the gasket, loosened it and refitted. Problem of flooding solved. I also ran the petrol freely out of the carb for two seconds or so, in order to clear up any possible blockages there and played a bit with the floats, just to loosen and clear all components therein involved (it has done the trick before).

Solving non-firing on right cylinder:

I removed tank and thoroughly inspected and checked all connections. Removed spark plug suppressor and made sure there is good connection. So far all visual inspections. Started the bike up again, she was still only firing on the left side. While keeping my hand on the throttle (to prevent the bike from cutting out) I pulled with my other hand at the acceleration cable on the right carb. The was gently done with due care. I encountered a ‘gurgling’ noise when pulling the acceleration cable. This planted with me the idea that it may not be a spark / electrical issue, but a fuel problem. I next removed both carb buckets and compared the fuel inside. The right side was still full, while the left side was half.  So I decided that it was a fuel problem.

Next I removed the main jet (carb still on the bike – easier this way). Inspected and it passed the inspection with flying colours. Then the idle jet. The idle jet didn’t want to come out after having been turned out fully – indicative that there is a problem with the o-ring. I managed to extract the idle jet with a tooth pick. The opening seemed clear, still I made sure that it is unobstructed. Then I replaced the o-ring (I had a spare). I used a speck of oil to facilitate putting on the new one. Went on smooth. Used a tissue afterwards to removed most of that speck of oil and turned the idle jet back in. Fired the bike up. Problem solved.

I hope my experience is of use to someone out there.

Feel free to share any of your problem solving. We can learn a lot from each other.