Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Spotlights worth the investment?  (Read 713 times)

Offline Miracle_Salad

Spotlights worth the investment?
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:34:27 pm »
Hey Folks,

Whats the general opinion on spotlights?

I know the main argument is that they make you more visible during the day and night. But is that all really?

Some of the LED lights can be quite pricey. Im all for the safety side, but was wondering if there are any other practical advantages to having them?

MS
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Spotlights worth the investment?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
For me it was well worth the money spent, super addition and works like a charm
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »
disclaimer: we are a Vendor...

On OLDER bikes, such as my 1150 GS, and on SMALLER bikes, such as my G450X, they actually light up the road, since the older OEM headlights were more 'candle-in-the-wind' type of lighting...  :biggrin:

But they do ENLARGE the size of the bike (as it were...) by usually being placed at the outer edge of the bike, giving the TRIANGLE, one headlight + 2 spots = greater 'presence', and then when lane-splitting (responsibly), gives the bike better visibility.

On my 1150, I ride with the feint orange disk in-situ over my very-weak low beam, using the spots for lighting; this is illegal, but people really see the 'dim' orange, and the spots then light the road. have never been pulled over yet, but again, illegal to ride with orange at night.

YMMV.
Cheers
Chris & team
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:00 am »
The question is easy: what is your safety worth to you? I some days ride a Honda Estorm 125 - with spots, because I want to be seen. LED spots exponentially increase vision at night, especially if you have an orange light cover (that reduces headlight intensity by 40%).
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.