kaokoland 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enzo

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Just returned from a 14 day tour of Kaokoland mostly offroad on my 1200 GS LC, I was joined by a fellow member here with a similar bike. We where lucky enough to bump into other 3 WD members on route. I was always nervous doing this trip with only 1 other person in case something goes wrong deep in the marienflus or anywhere in namibia really. What made this trip special is the fellow members we bumped into had their own routine and pace but at least we managed to meet up in the evenings.

The memories of this trip will stay with me for a long time, the solitude and trepidation that nothing must break at any given point in time was a constant companion, the friendship and banter whilst on expedition is difficult to repeat and carry over onto normal people whilst back in civilization.

Glad to report we all came back with no serious incidents and no real damage to our bikes. We bumped into elephants in dry river beds on 3 occasions, rode down van zyls with care. Rode copious amounts of sand. Had to turn back on routes where the sand beat us. Met friendly people all along the route and never had a need for fuel or food or a cold beer.

I have been on other extended expeditions on bike and car and this one really stood out for me. Cant help to think the more things change the more they stay the same.

Adventure is out there waiting for us and life is random. So whatever linear excuses you find yourself making for not going on a similar trip on any bike wont hold water because the time is now.

Herewith a few pics that highlighted the trip for me.