Engine cut-out at 120km/h due to sidestand switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carelza

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi everyone! My buddy and I picked up my recently purchased 2014 GSA800 from George BMW on Saturday 2 Sept and we rode back via Knysna over the Prins Alfred pass to Route 62 and back to our homes in Cape Town.

Just after turning onto the R62, my engine cut out at 120km/h which locked my rear tire. I started sliding and catching a speed wobble but luckily managed to decouple the engine and stop safely without dying.

After inspection we realised the sidestand switch is damaged so we cut off a piece of wire from the farmer's fence next to the road and tied it together (pic attached), which let me get home without further incident.

The weird thing is I can't find any reports of this happening to other people online. What are the odds the switch would break within the first few hours I picked it up? Is it supposed to cut out the engine while riding that fast?

Also, could the tyre locking have caused any damage to the engine or other components?

I'm wondering whether this will be covered by the dealer warranty, apparently I have a 3 month warranty since I bought the cycle 2nd hand via the dealership.

Taking the bike in to BMW this week or next for inspection and repairs, will update with their findings.

Regards
C

Attachments

• kickstand.jpg
    kickstand.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 256