Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Odd noises when trying to rev  (Read 292 times)

Offline Miracle_Salad

Odd noises when trying to rev
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:28:16 am »
Hey there,

has anyone else experienced weird engine noises if you try to rev while in low gear and with the clutch in?

So like for example this morning I was in second, pulled in the clutch and tried to blip the throttle at a naughty driver on his cellphone straddling the white line.

The engine made a click noise and there was no rev. It almost sounded like the engine turned off and back on again. Is this like a safety feature of some sort?
I also noticed if im in a higher gear like 4th or 5th and I slow down and try blip the throttle, there is a light rev but it only picks up if I keep revving.

Last weekend, I tried to blip the throttle again in maybe 3rd or 2nd while approaching a stop with the clutch in, was practicing downshifting, and the engine cut. I thought this might be a feature or something as well?

If im stationary there is no problem, everything sounds fine. Its just when moving do I get these odd experiences. :-\

Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Online Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Odd noises when trying to rev
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:35:47 am »
If it not a feature, it could be related to the fly by wire.
Some people have had issues with the throttle movement
not registering correctly.
Some have been replaced, other report that by re-seating the
connector its been resolved.

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 09:37:10 am »
Ok so then it actually could be pointing to something more sinister, thank you for that!
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:56 pm »
I had a "similar" issue a few years back after a year or so of having the bike - cut outs when down shifting, misfire & "pinging" - problem was solved by BMW in Rosebank (dunno where they moved to), they put some gauge on the heads and set the valve clearances IN RELATION TO EACH OTHER - solved the problem completely.

And I blip my 2010 GSA all the time, particularly on down-shifts - in deference to what the Donford Sales Executive person suggested I wont tell you what I think of his answer.....  >:D
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!