Odd noises when trying to rev

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miracle_Salad

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hey there,

has anyone else experienced weird engine noises if you try to rev while in low gear and with the clutch in?

So like for example this morning I was in second, pulled in the clutch and tried to blip the throttle at a naughty driver on his cellphone straddling the white line.

The engine made a click noise and there was no rev. It almost sounded like the engine turned off and back on again. Is this like a safety feature of some sort?
I also noticed if im in a higher gear like 4th or 5th and I slow down and try blip the throttle, there is a light rev but it only picks up if I keep revving.

Last weekend, I tried to blip the throttle again in maybe 3rd or 2nd while approaching a stop with the clutch in, was practicing downshifting, and the engine cut. I thought this might be a feature or something as well?

If im stationary there is no problem, everything sounds fine. Its just when moving do I get these odd experiences. :-\