Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What can I use to spray on new Bike to preserve spokes, Rims etc..  (Read 972 times)

Offline Escapade

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Honda AT CRF-1000 DCT
What can I use to spray on new Bike to preserve spokes, Rims etc..
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
Hi,

Just took delivery of my new Africa Twin, now before I hit the road and dirt, is there something I can spray / coat onto the spokes and rims that will keep and protect somewhat longer...I live at the coast and a few metres away from saltwater.

Thanks

....'In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, It's the life in your years.....

Offline XRRX

Re: What can I use to spray on new Bike to preserve spokes, Rims etc..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »
I use normal "Sheen" - it's cheap and available at P&P and Checkers too, and you can spray it on anything without fear of damage ... (The stuff they spray on car dashboards)
Every now and then I clean the spokes with a rug and paraffin...

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:34:11 am »
Tectyl spray (clear ) fairly tough and can be removed with petrol or parrafin and brush again.
Don't get it on your disks though.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Dirty Boy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:31:05 am »
I use normal "Sheen" - it's cheap and available at P&P and Checkers too, and you can spray it on anything without fear of damage ... (The stuff they spray on car dashboards)
Every now and then I clean the spokes with a rug and paraffin...

This is what I use too. My KLR is a 2004 and has lived all its life in Durban. Im the second owner so for the last 9 years it has lived 10km inland from the beach. I have no rust on my bike.
Not only does the 'Sheen" spray (which probably is mostly silicone) protect and make the bike look good, I find it has another use. After a dirt road ride the bike is covered with a fine layer of dust (it sticks to the coating) Ride it like this for a while and its easy to see if you have any oil leaks or weeping seals. Not only that, the silicone helps to drive moisture away from wiring.

My KLR

Offline Escapade

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Honda AT CRF-1000 DCT
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:07 am »
Thanks Guys,

Gonna do exactly that........Times like these I really value of being part of this community!!

:) ;D
....'In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, It's the life in your years.....

Offline Metalwolf

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:23:25 pm »
Check out ACF50 aswell.

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 12:49:25 am »
I recently had a chat with the guys at PAZ in Durban north about this. They were telling me about a ceramic coating (not the type baked onto car exhausts/calipers and engines) that can be sprayed onto anything including textiles.

The stuff forms a layer on the surface that is smooth, and even repels water. Apparently makes it really easy to wash the bike as well, as nothing sticks to the coating.

Not cheap though, but they showed me a Harley that is 4 years old, and doesn't have a spec of rust on any of the chromed parts.

If you know about Harleys you know that rust is a huge problem for the owners, and the reason Harley owners become quite skilled at polishing stuff.

Anyone else have any experience with something like this?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk