Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harties to Warmbad - The first one (revised title)  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Grootseun

Harties to Warmbad - The first one (revised title)
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:53:48 am »
I met wino by chance at the upper deck garage on sunday morning. I was there with as Welsie calls the (ze germans) to ride to warmbaths, maily on dirt road.

I did not take mutch notice of the roads we took as this was my first offroad adventure and i was focussing on staying on the bike.

We did ride through the busteling metropolis of brits, about 20 km's on tar, stopped at a garage and proceeded on dirt for the rest of the way.

About 30km's into the ride (me at the back plodding along at 80 km/h) we were being flagged down just before the corner.... going through the corner we saw quite a disturbing site: One of the braver (thin line between brave and stupid) 1200GS riders resolved to aproach the corner @ 140 km/h... after slowing to about 120.. he lost it and bike and rider stopped about 30m beyond the point of impact having touchd ground 3 times every 10m or so. It was scary...

I was quite shocked 'specially with this being my first ride. I decided it's fine cruising @ 80 and even less where the need be, cuz if i fall and i survive.. then i'll have to awnser to the pantoffelregering...

Bike written off, rider with broken rib, broken arm, large cut above hip and of course battered and bruised.

I was surprised.... coming off at 120 kliks.. and he was standing having a smoke when we got there (a la adrenaline). I realised why ATTGATT is so important rather sweat than bleed never has there been tuer words.

The rest of the ride was great... dirt highway all the way (some large potholes and run-offs) vottomed out once and was convinced my tyres was shot the instant i hit the pothole byt man... the dak held out perfectly.

Hit warmbaths about 3 hours after setting off (we did stop often tho)

200km from the upperdeck 4way to warmbaths aventura 90% dirt with some tar inbetween.

I will try and get gps route from ze germans cuz i wanna do this one again.

the way back was highway (pressed for time) and man was that boring.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:46:24 am »
Well done Grootseun!

Always nice to get the first one under the belt!

My first one (With Skaap and Funancide) also went by without me having a clue where we going. Just concentrated on not falling!

Now you must just keep the momentum going. Only way is to learn is to go out there and do all the different trail conditions.

Try and get some pics on trips. Even if it is on the cell. Nice memories.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:12:50 am »
'worst ride report ever', wtf! i thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to a ride together!
pity about the rider that went down - so easy to happen... :(

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:41:48 am »
Quote from: "wino"
'worst ride report ever', wtf! i thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to a ride together!

Also enjoyed the report, yep its all too easy to go down. I think you made a good decision on which ride to go on. The canal route was seriously slow and slippy in the mud, that stuff was so sticky the front wheels were jamming solid.
You would almost certainly have made several intimate aquaintances with the terra firma, Ze Germans and Wino were asking nasty questions like "does the weight help in the mud?" (fat boys stay vertical it is too tiring getting back up when you go down). Nasty people, good fun and very hot & sweaty.

Welshie  :lol:  8)  8)
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:04:07 pm »
Quote from: "Welshman"
The canal route was seriously slow and slippy in the mud, that stuff was so sticky the front wheels were jamming solid.
You would almost certainly have made several intimate aquaintances with the terra firma, Ze Germans and Wino were asking nasty questions like "does the weight help in the mud?" (fat boys stay vertical it is too tiring getting back up when you go down). Nasty people, good fun and very hot & sweaty.

"Hijack on" Can't wait for the trip report! 8)  8) " Hijack off"
He who angers you, controls you.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:32:58 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Quote from: "Welshman"
The canal route was seriously slow and slippy in the mud, that stuff was so sticky the front wheels were jamming solid.

"Hijack on" Can't wait for the trip report! 8)  8) " Hijack off"

OK am out of here!
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:41:32 pm »
Quote from: "wino"

thanks wino.. with the worst ride report.. i just thought i had no camera for snaps (which i really regret) and i would like to do the route again in a smaller group  and thats where the gps comes in.. i have it on my wishlist (extremely looooong wishlist)

I bow to the guys that has the reports sorted.. with routes and pics.. it's a great way to share experiences.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:45:36 pm »
Groote, cool report dood - you can consider changing that title for sure!

on that note, crank up that preload, it sounds like the Dakar needs it.

Sweet!
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 12:57:53 pm »
thanks LITO, yeah.. i only realised afterwards it was set too soft... will remember for next time tho. 8)

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 03:07:30 pm »
glad you had fun bigboy  :)

but next time ..... camera hey?  :wink:

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 03:24:51 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
glad you had fun bigboy  :)

but next time ..... camera hey?  :wink:

we'll have to rely on the old cellphone for those... i have a very nice Cannon SLR ELAN II or III that i inherited it takes awsome snaps... on film tho and at R75 bucks a pop i still have about 8 films in the fridge in line to be developed.