Harties to Warmbad - The first one (revised title)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I met wino by chance at the upper deck garage on sunday morning. I was there with as Welsie calls the (ze germans) to ride to warmbaths, maily on dirt road.

I did not take mutch notice of the roads we took as this was my first offroad adventure and i was focussing on staying on the bike.

We did ride through the busteling metropolis of brits, about 20 km's on tar, stopped at a garage and proceeded on dirt for the rest of the way.

About 30km's into the ride (me at the back plodding along at 80 km/h) we were being flagged down just before the corner.... going through the corner we saw quite a disturbing site: One of the braver (thin line between brave and stupid) 1200GS riders resolved to aproach the corner @ 140 km/h... after slowing to about 120.. he lost it and bike and rider stopped about 30m beyond the point of impact having touchd ground 3 times every 10m or so. It was scary...

I was quite shocked 'specially with this being my first ride. I decided it's fine cruising @ 80 and even less where the need be, cuz if i fall and i survive.. then i'll have to awnser to the pantoffelregering...

Bike written off, rider with broken rib, broken arm, large cut above hip and of course battered and bruised.

I was surprised.... coming off at 120 kliks.. and he was standing having a smoke when we got there (a la adrenaline). I realised why ATTGATT is so important rather sweat than bleed never has there been tuer words.

The rest of the ride was great... dirt highway all the way (some large potholes and run-offs) vottomed out once and was convinced my tyres was shot the instant i hit the pothole byt man... the dak held out perfectly.

Hit warmbaths about 3 hours after setting off (we did stop often tho)

200km from the upperdeck 4way to warmbaths aventura 90% dirt with some tar inbetween.

I will try and get gps route from ze germans cuz i wanna do this one again.

the way back was highway (pressed for time) and man was that boring.