Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bmw 800 adventure  (Read 476 times)

Offline ADVENTURE68

• Bike: BMW R80GS
    • View Profile
Bmw 800 adventure
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »
Hi all please can someone help me out

i am not a petrol head so know very little about this

i had the Steering head bearings replaced as my steering was notchy

i only used bmw spares and since then i have a bad left to right head shake between 140km and 160km plus

i have ridden this bike for over 20 000km with no issues

since then i have replaced the front and back tyres

can anyone give me some advise on what to look out for

please excuse me if my terminology is incorrect

thanks again

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Bmw 800 adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
maybe CLARIFY exactly when you put new tyres on IN RELATION TO the new steering head bearings?

Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline ADVENTURE68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:22:36 pm »
Thank you Chris

Steering head bearings ...drove home with head shake .... changed rubber still head shake but slightly better

does that help ?

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Forum Whore
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:49 pm »
i'll let others with more experience than myself comment, but new rubber is occasionally a culprit in head-shake, I'm guessing correct inflation, etc?

Never heard of new bearings causing that, but will watch/learn here..

tyres were my 1st thought, and that's why I wanted to establish when they were fitted relative to head-shake.

Cheers  :thumleft:
Chris

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline ant cross

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
Thanks Chris lets hope someone has answer tyre pressure correct

Offline johanp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »
Have you rechecked the torque of the steering but?
2010 BMW F650GS Twin

The following users thanked this post: heinzz

Offline johanp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:25:09 pm »
Torque spec & procedure.
2010 BMW F650GS Twin

Offline heinzz

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:09 pm »
Some off road tyres does cause this but should settle within the first 1000km.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:41:04 pm by heinzz »

Offline Di3zeL

• Bike: BMW F700GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:56 pm »
I have the same weird problem with my bike.

I did 35 000kms without a hassle, replaced the steering head bearings and the head shake started. Mine starts shaking at anything from 160, have to close throttle at 180 to stop it. But it only does this when I dont have a pillion on, with pillion on theres no shake at any speed.

I thought it was the tyres so put new rubber on 2000kms later, still did it. I had the steering head bearings re-torqued, tyres re balanced and aligned, pressures checked, experimented with/without top box/touring screen etc and checked everything I could, still did it.

Eventually found out my front rim (mag rim) has been slightly buckled this whole time, causing problems at high speeds. Apparently the old steering head bearings acted as a steering damper, dampening the effects of the buckled rim and I could only feel the problem with the freedom of the new bearings.

During this process I did learn that it is also one of the symptoms of rear shock failure, maybe have your front and rear suspension looked at along with your rims.

Will be fitting another front rim in the next 2 weeks, will report back on the outcome.

Offline johanp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 01:19:57 pm »

I did 35 000kms without a hassle, replaced the steering head bearings and the head shake started. Mine starts shaking at anything from 160, have to close throttle at 180 to stop it. But it only does this when I dont have a pillion on, with pillion on theres no shake at any speed.

I thought it was the tyres so put new rubber on 2000kms later, still did it. I had the steering head bearings re-torqued, tyres re balanced and aligned, pressures checked, experimented with/without top box/touring screen etc and checked everything I could, still did it.

Eventually found out my front rim (mag rim) has been slightly buckled this whole time, causing problems at high speeds. Apparently the old steering head bearings acted as a steering damper, dampening the effects of the buckled rim and I could only feel the problem with the freedom of the new bearings.

During this process I did learn that it is also one of the symptoms of rear shock failure, maybe have your front and rear suspension looked at along with your rims.

Will be fitting another front rim in the next 2 weeks, will report back on the outcome.
That is very interesting. Can the wheel not be repaired?
2010 BMW F650GS Twin

Offline heinzz

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:26 pm »

Rear suspension setting most certainly can be the cause. Experienced it a few times not adjusting the settings when unloaded. Not necessarily rear suspension failure but settings not correctly adjusted. More noticeable when accelerating hard between 130 and 180km/h.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:51:24 pm by heinzz »

Offline Jughead

• Non potest esse nisi unum!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »

Rear suspension setting most certainly can be the cause. Experienced it a few times not adjusting the settings when unloaded. Not necessarily rear suspension failure but settings not correctly adjusted. More noticeable when accelerating hard between 130 and 180km/h.

Agree 100% here.  Play around with the rear suspension preload.  You will find a point where the headshake disappears.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Di3zeL

• Bike: BMW F700GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »
Yes the rim was sent in, melted, remolded and resprayed to be true on the outer ring (ring that touches the tyre). When we got it back it was still shaking at speed, we then rechecked the rim and saw it was the inner ring (around the hub) that was buckled, and they cannot melt and fix the rim in that area, hence a new rim is needed.

And yes the suspension settings itself could be the problem. However I was also told it could be my rear shock that was faulty/failing. It was thought that the shock was not absorbing the road surface correctly, leading to instability. It was then suggested that to solve the head shake problem, I should send my rear shock in for reconditioning as this is way cheaper than buying a new one.

Luckily the true cause (hopefully) was found before I sent the shock in.

Offline johanp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:02 pm »
Yes the rim was sent in, melted, remolded and resprayed to be true on the outer ring (ring that touches the tyre). When we got it back it was still shaking at speed, we then rechecked the rim and saw it was the inner ring (around the hub) that was buckled, and they cannot melt and fix the rim in that area, hence a new rim is needed.

Ouch, thanks. I've also bent my rim(smiley) so I'm hoping it can be fixed.

No head shake issues though...
2010 BMW F650GS Twin

Offline Jughead

• Non potest esse nisi unum!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »

And yes the suspension settings itself could be the problem. However I was also told it could be my rear shock that was faulty/failing. It was thought that the shock was not absorbing the road surface correctly, leading to instability. It was then suggested that to solve the head shake problem, I should send my rear shock in for reconditioning as this is way cheaper than buying a new one.

Luckily the true cause (hopefully) was found before I sent the shock in.

:o  What exactly was melted on your rim?  Is it a cast alloy rim or spoke rim.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline ant cross

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:33 pm »
Thank you for all your imput I will pass on to the guy who works on my bikethanks again to all

Offline ianb

• BMW R80 G/S..R80GS.F800GS XR650R
    • View Profile
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:31 am »
All this happened to me, Ended up re torque the head bearings. They settle in .then get loose.