Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: One C-tek charger for two vehicles  (Read 348 times)

Offline SteveD

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
One C-tek charger for two vehicles
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »
I have a single C-tek charger for multiple vehicles, two of which are not being used at the moment. So I leave the C-tek plugged into one vehicle one week, then swop to the second vehicle the next week, then back after a week and so on.

After a while, the battery in one vehicle died. Moer toe, I had to replace it. Now the same has happened on the second vehicle.

Is it a faulty charger, or is swopping it every week a really bad idea, and I should know better?
To their credit, C-tek are involved with fault finding. They responded incredibly quickly to my query.

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
    • View Profile
Re: One C-tek charger for two vehicles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:05 pm »
I have never had issues with my C-tek charger. I charge till full,  then remove the charger from the battery
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

The following users thanked this post: fcprinsloo7@gmail.com

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:55 pm »
I've been doing this between my wife's bike and her car for years, never had an issue.

Offline spankme

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:56:19 pm »
have one on the 390,off for a month whilst being used then on again for 11 months.no problem

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:21 pm »
I have a single C-tek charger for multiple vehicles, two of which are not being used at the moment. So I leave the C-tek plugged into one vehicle one week, then swop to the second vehicle the next week, then back after a week and so on.

After a while, the battery in one vehicle died. Moer toe, I had to replace it. Now the same has happened on the second vehicle.

Is it a faulty charger, or is swopping it every week a really bad idea, and I should know better?
To their credit, C-tek are involved with fault finding. They responded incredibly quickly to my query.

What was the fluid level like on the batteries when they failed?

You need to top up the fluids - when it is on a charger you need to do that more often as it will cook off the water after a while. Even if it is sealed it does loose some water over time.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:10:03 pm »

Is that not what the c-tek is suppose to do on it's own? It waits till the battery has dropped to a specific voltage and then bring it up to voltage again.

Sub

Offline Manic

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »
Maybe just bad luck.

I have a more than one Ctek, and it stays on 24/7 when not in use.

Remember if a battery says bye bye its one of those things, Ctek wont let a battery work for 10 years  :thumleft:
1290 SAR
1290 SD-GT

Offline Offside

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:28:07 pm »
I have four bikes in one charger.
Fitted each battery with a speaker type female plug and made ripcord lead with the male plugs.
Seems to work fine.