Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 250 (-350) Dual sport options - TTR vs ... what else?  (Read 621 times)

Offline WeeStrom

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Weeeeee!
250 (-350) Dual sport options - TTR vs ... what else?
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
I mention WR because the overseas model WR250R gets good reviews. It is quite a different bike than the local WR250F. Is a road-legal conversion even possible?

I would like to get myself a light, reliable and fuel efficient bike for typical dual sport use, i.e. run errands about town, breakfast run to J-Bay or Port Alfred (I live in PE) and explore some of the backroads around Baviaans.

Most miles will be tar and quite a bit of that will involve at least some stretches of highway, so cruising at 110-115kph should be comfortable for both me and the bike. Uphill at least 95-100kph ( I am 6'3", 100kg).
My off-road skills and ambitions are no more than lazy exploration and getting home in one piece.
For fuel efficiency I would like something for which 30km/l is at least achievable, if not exactly a running average.
So far my search (incl many international forums) seems to point to the Suzuki DR350.

I would love to hear your opinions on how a TTR or WR would suit my needs.
And what are the possibilities of increasing the capacity or carb mods on these bikes for highway use?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:57:57 pm by WeeStrom »

Offline katana

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
Re: 250 (-350) Dual sport - TTR or WR-F or whatever else?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/durbanville/2007-yamaha-tt/1002074184040910174357809   :ricky:  I love mine.

The WR250F is totally different to the concept of the R.  It is an awesome light enduro machine, but not designed primarily for dual sport like the TTR and WRR.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline WeeStrom

• Weeeeee!
Re: 250 (-350) Dual sport - TTR or WR-F or whatever else?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:55:19 pm »
Assuming then that the WR is not an option,
how does the TTR stack up against other roadworthy 250's out there, e.g. Honda Tornado, Kawa KLX, Suzuki DRZ/Djebel etc.?

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
Re: 250 (-350) Dual sport options - TTR vs ... what else?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:11:29 pm »
I have only done +/- 20km on the CRF250 Rally with, some playing at my favourite BMX track.  CRF felt the same on acceleration, but had a higher top end and better fuel economy.  The TTR handles like a light enduro.  Much more like my ex-IT200 than my WR450.  I have taken Dogmatix's XR250 to the quarry and had a lot of fun.  Like the TTR more.

I researched a lot after I bought mine.  It has a solid following because of its good suspension.  I only considered it because Kawaki bought one before me and did ALL the research and comparison.

At the end of the day, the bike you ride is the best, whatever it is.  I tweak my bikes quite a bit to get it just right.  I suppose I could do the same with any bike, but I have a soft spot for the blue bikes.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline WeeStrom

• Weeeeee!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 03:41:04 pm »
How does the XT compare to the TTR?

Spec sheets for the more recent XT models show less power - does it have anything else going for it instead?

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 05:26:25 pm »
The recent xt is fuel injected. Big plus. The suspension is not up to the same level though. Not that it bothers Crossed-up at all.

Offline walkaboutboertjie

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Yammie TTR250
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:16:14 pm »
Absolutely love my TTR - it is my do "everything" bike - but first and foremost it is my daily commuter in the Cape Town traffic that is just getting progressively worse.  A job it does absolutely admirably being nimble and light.  Secondly it is my weekend warrior, from playing in the sand to weekend trips (which do not happen too often unfortunately). 

I am happy admitting that it is going to fall short on something trying to make it my "jack of all trades" (or possibly many things in other people's opinions), but what the TTR will fall short on is:     

"Most miles will be tar and quite a bit of that will involve at least some stretches of highway, so cruising at 110-115kph should be comfortable for both me and the bike."   

You can definitely push it up to sit and cruise at 110, but not having a tacho, and thus not knowing what revs the bike is doing at 110 / 115 - not sure what the long term implications might be of doing that from a reliability point of view.  And fuel economy takes a big hit sitting at 110 / 115 for sustained periods.  For cruising I find that it is best kept at 100 for fuel economy to not take such a drop - and just for my own peace of mind for long term reliability.  I run a 48 back sprocket BTW, stock front.

The DR350 is as scarce as hen's teeth off course, know of a few people waiting for one to appear on the market. So options are limited, unless you include the DRZ400 into the list?!   

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 05:46:44 pm »
Two TTR's will be having a day out tomorrow.  A mini Ertzberg was mentioned.  Would that sound like fun on my GS?  N-n-no.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:26:31 pm »
I have an XT250 (2015).  I really like it. It's my "do everything" bike. I don't have a car.

Its suspension is rubbish in the worst way, but then I'm no riding god. The stock tires are quite good on tar, but seriously useless offroad. Here knobblies transformed the bike.

It cruises happily at 110, easily hits 120, and will actually do 130 flat taps. But if you're 6ft 3 I wouldn't recommend it. Even at 5 11 I'm really too tall for it.

BTW it returns 33km/l if kept at 100 or lower, but I mostly get around 28 or 29.

• Yammie TTR250
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:43:20 am »
Two TTR's will be having a day out tomorrow.  A mini Ertzberg was mentioned.  Would that sound like fun on my GS?  N-n-no.

Where you going Katana? 

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »
We did some off the beaten track riding today.  Rocks, hills, streams, no road, gulleys, sand, the works.  The TTR has terrific suspension.  No jokes.  It is perfect.  230km, +\- 70% dirt.  Just a touch over 20km/l.  Lots of second and third gear sections included.

Kawaki was my guide.  Unfortunately the exact route can't be shared  :peepwall:

• Yammie TTR250
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 08:59:03 pm »
Katana: Saw some pics on the Quarriors whatsapp - looked like a lekker ride indeed. 

WeeStrom: I sat on the N2 today (had to go pick something up in Botrivier and played a bit in the burnt out pine plantations on Highlands Road), got a bit impatient and the TTR sat at 115 to 120 back home for most of the time - max of 125 as per GPS (not that I wanted to get a max reading, was just cruising along).     

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:01:52 pm »
Katana: Saw some pics on the Quarriors whatsapp - looked like a lekker ride indeed. 

WeeStrom: I sat on the N2 today (had to go pick something up in Botrivier and played a bit in the burnt out pine plantations on Highlands Road), got a bit impatient and the TTR sat at 115 to 120 back home for most of the time - max of 125 as per GPS (not that I wanted to get a max reading, was just cruising along).     
I just finished sorting the photos we took and will post a report shortly.  Joining the quarry boys tomorrow?