250 (-350) Dual sport options - TTR vs ... what else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeStrom

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
I mention WR because the overseas model WR250R gets good reviews. It is quite a different bike than the local WR250F. Is a road-legal conversion even possible?

I would like to get myself a light, reliable and fuel efficient bike for typical dual sport use, i.e. run errands about town, breakfast run to J-Bay or Port Alfred (I live in PE) and explore some of the backroads around Baviaans.

Most miles will be tar and quite a bit of that will involve at least some stretches of highway, so cruising at 110-115kph should be comfortable for both me and the bike. Uphill at least 95-100kph ( I am 6'3", 100kg).
My off-road skills and ambitions are no more than lazy exploration and getting home in one piece.
For fuel efficiency I would like something for which 30km/l is at least achievable, if not exactly a running average.
So far my search (incl many international forums) seems to point to the Suzuki DR350.

I would love to hear your opinions on how a TTR or WR would suit my needs.
And what are the possibilities of increasing the capacity or carb mods on these bikes for highway use?