Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2015 BMW R1200 GSA K51 with cracked front rim !!!  (Read 700 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
2015 BMW R1200 GSA K51 with cracked front rim !!!
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »
Hi Guys,
I discovered with rather a shock today that my front rim on my bike is cracked.
A few months back i had new Anakee 3's fitted by Donford in Stellies, after having had these fitted i noticed that the tyre pressure indicator would show a slight drop in pressure after a few days,,,,,,, i didn't really think much of it & thought that i either had a slight leak on the valve core or that it had a slow puncture . Anyhow i was then lucky enough to be offered a 3 month contract at a Bakery in Randfontein. So i left Cape Town & drove my bike through.
Whilst at work today i asked my tyre fitter to check the front tyre as i always have to pump it up after a few days.
Anyhow i discovered that it was not leaking on the tyre , but through a pin hole crack in the actual rim !!!
OK , so now i was rather fazed & decided that i had better take it in to BMW, i first called Donford & spoke with the workshop manager ,after sending him a pic of the license disc it was discovered that the bike was out of warranty in March this year , another bummer. Anyhow i got on the bike, used the Gps to take me to the closest "Motorrad" & it directed me to Northside Motorcycles , about 40 km from Randfontein.
I drove the bike through to Northside & met with the workshop manager there, he had a look at the problem, took a photo or two, then also looked up the bikes particulars on the BMW system, he also told me that it was out of warranty ,,,, but that he would send the pics to BMW & ask if there were any other cases of cracked rims.
He said that he couldn't understand it as there were no "smileys" or any other visible signs of damage.
So there we have it. I asked what i should do as i have no alternate means of transport & was rather hesitant to ride a bike around with a damaged rim in case it would be further damaged. He said that i should just ride the bike like that & that he would try to get back to me on Monday ,, after taking my telephone & e-mail details i then hopped on my bike & rode back to Randfontein with a rather heavy heart,,,,,,
I am rather bummed about this, i mean these Bee Emms aren't exactly cheap, so for me to discover that the rim is cracked and i don't even have 19000 kilos on the bike yet,

I was wondering if anyone on this Forum has had a similar experience & am open to suggestions as to what i should do. I don't really want to claim on my insurance as i have been a good client & should get my no claim bonus back towards end next year,,,, i am rather hoping that BMW might entertain a "goodwill" claim and help me with this repair . I have attached a pic, not a very good one, but will try to take a better one in the sun tomorrow.

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
Re: 2015 BMW R1200 GSA K51 with cracked front rim !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »
Holding thumbs for a warranty claim.  That looks like a defect in the rim.  These Behr rims are very tough!!
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:42 pm »
If i read your story right, the problem seems to have only started when you had new tyres fitted. Could if have been from taking off/ putting on of the new tyres ?

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:17:42 pm »
Hey , perhaps i phrased or wrote that incorrectly , but i only noticed the slow leak after having the new tires fitted,,,,,,, but still bummed out that the actual rim is cracked , i am starting to lose the blind "love" that i had for this machine ....... :dousing:

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »
herewith another pic,,,,,,,

Online OomD

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
Such a perfectly straight crack? To me it looks more like a seam that is separating. If so you may have more luck with a goodwill replacement. I could be wrong off course, but good luck anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:07:00 pm »
i am just holding thumbs for tomorrow now !!!     :laughing4:
Its just so weird how when driving from Cape Town to Gauteng it never really bothered me as i thought it was just a slow puncture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Now that i know that it is a cracked rim i am not so happy with riding the bike around !!!    :eek7:

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:49 pm »

Subject: RE: Split Rim K51

Hi Jonathan

I have attached the quote for the front wheel, it normally take four days for them to complete the lacing of the Rim.
Bmw has stock available of the front loop.

Kind Regards

Subject: RE: Split Rim K51

Hi,
Well, I must say I am rather disappointed that BMW will not even think of replacing the rim although it is in my mind an obvious manufacturing defect, especially so when there is no damage/smiley’s  to the rim.  In fact to me it looks as if it is a “seam” that is coming unstuck.
Needless to say , I would certainly not think of replacing this machine with a new one from the BMW stable, especially not with this sort of reply which I will copy & paste  I will additionally advise other users/owners of R1200GSA’s of this problem via the “Wild Dog “website where I have already mentioned that the crack was discovered, & was awaiting the outcome/response from BMW.

I trust that this additional publicity will much assist the GSA1200’s reputation, especially after the front suspension debacle.

Sincerely,

Subject: FW: Split Rim K51

Hi Jonathan

Please see the mail below from BMW Technical with regards to your front rim.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Hi,

Thank you for your query.

Rims have a 1000km allowance to be claimed by warranty.

Rims and tyres are in direct contact with the “road” surface constantly. We could not entertain this as a product related issue.

I trust this helps clarify your query.

Kind Regards,
------------------
BMW Group
South Africa

BMW Motorrad
Technical Consultant
BMW (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd.

Subject: Split Rim K51

Hi,

As per our discussion this morning, I have attached some photo’s with the viewer print out.
Please can you assess the photo’s so I can get back to the customer.

Many Thanks

Assistant Service Manager
BMW Motorrad
Northside Motorcycles

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:53 pm »
Well , i have today received the news that BMW is not interested in any assist with regards the cracked rim, i have copied & pasted the mails as received from BMW , in my opinion a rather poor show & one that will certainly not see me replacing this with another BMW any time soon.

I have been fortunate enough to receive assistance from other friends within the BMW network that appreciate my support as a client  :ricky:   & have found me a rim. I have organized for a courier to collect the rim & just need to find a dealer in / near Krugersdorp/Randfontein who is able to lace the new rim & fit & balance the front tyre.

So i would really appreciate any assistance as to who i should contact to try & assist me.   :thumleft:

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
Well , i have today received the news that BMW is not interested in any assist with regards the cracked rim, i have copied & pasted the mails as received from BMW , in my opinion a rather poor show & one that will certainly not see me replacing this with another BMW any time soon.

I have been fortunate enough to receive assistance from other friends within the BMW network that appreciate my support as a client  :ricky:   & have found me a rim. I have organized for a courier to collect the rim & just need to find a dealer in / near Krugersdorp/Randfontein who is able to lace the new rim & fit & balance the front tyre.

So i would really appreciate any assistance as to who i should contact to try & assist me.   :thumleft:
Noooooo!!!  Buy the HP2 21" and have it laced! 
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain