2015 BMW R1200 GSA K51 with cracked front rim !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
Hi Guys,
I discovered with rather a shock today that my front rim on my bike is cracked.
A few months back i had new Anakee 3's fitted by Donford in Stellies, after having had these fitted i noticed that the tyre pressure indicator would show a slight drop in pressure after a few days,,,,,,, i didn't really think much of it & thought that i either had a slight leak on the valve core or that it had a slow puncture . Anyhow i was then lucky enough to be offered a 3 month contract at a Bakery in Randfontein. So i left Cape Town & drove my bike through.
Whilst at work today i asked my tyre fitter to check the front tyre as i always have to pump it up after a few days.
Anyhow i discovered that it was not leaking on the tyre , but through a pin hole crack in the actual rim !!!
OK , so now i was rather fazed & decided that i had better take it in to BMW, i first called Donford & spoke with the workshop manager ,after sending him a pic of the license disc it was discovered that the bike was out of warranty in March this year , another bummer. Anyhow i got on the bike, used the Gps to take me to the closest "Motorrad" & it directed me to Northside Motorcycles , about 40 km from Randfontein.
I drove the bike through to Northside & met with the workshop manager there, he had a look at the problem, took a photo or two, then also looked up the bikes particulars on the BMW system, he also told me that it was out of warranty ,,,, but that he would send the pics to BMW & ask if there were any other cases of cracked rims.
He said that he couldn't understand it as there were no "smileys" or any other visible signs of damage.
So there we have it. I asked what i should do as i have no alternate means of transport & was rather hesitant to ride a bike around with a damaged rim in case it would be further damaged. He said that i should just ride the bike like that & that he would try to get back to me on Monday ,, after taking my telephone & e-mail details i then hopped on my bike & rode back to Randfontein with a rather heavy heart,,,,,,
I am rather bummed about this, i mean these Bee Emms aren't exactly cheap, so for me to discover that the rim is cracked and i don't even have 19000 kilos on the bike yet,

I was wondering if anyone on this Forum has had a similar experience & am open to suggestions as to what i should do. I don't really want to claim on my insurance as i have been a good client & should get my no claim bonus back towards end next year,,,, i am rather hoping that BMW might entertain a "goodwill" claim and help me with this repair . I have attached a pic, not a very good one, but will try to take a better one in the sun tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 246