Karoo/Namibia Ride 2017 ... well, almost...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
One thing we learnt from our Namibia 2016 trip was when not to do it ... it was not just the normal damn hot in September last year - no Sir, it was moerse warm! So after much back and forth we came to a brilliant conclusion ... we'll do it in August! Yep, no doubt you can imagine our surprise at this ... the answer to all our dilemmas was right there all along! So, with this huge weight off our shoulders we did the usual preparations: bike good? ... check, tyres good? ... check, passports got all pictures & clean pages? ... che ... well, you get the idea.   

Then, in early June a speed wobble to upset all carefully made problems shows up; Allen's eldest, the first born and clearly one of his 3 favorite offspring had plans of her own, #2 was on the way, ETA 1st August! Quite correctly some may ask what this has to do with Uncle Allen's Namibia 2017 bike ride?? ... well, I asked too but was informed that Roleen requested his presence at her side after the birth AND for 2 weeks thereafter. One does not mess with "Porks" as Tappet will confirm so just like that I was looking at my 2nd solo Nam trip. OK, jawellnofine then.

Last year we had planned on stopping in Nieu Bethesda, paid a deposit and then never made it due to the delicate love/hate relationship of tubes and tyres. Amazingly the deposit was still valid, so I asked Hannes (XRRX) if he had time for a ride, as short or as long as he had time for and he agreed as it was time to visit the folks oppie plaas in die Vrystaat. 

So here then is what happened:

We meet in North George as I have a stop to do on the Outeniqua Pass.

This is what I call 'n mooi plaashuis!

Hannes manages to just miss a suicidal calf so needed a smoke.

Still new roads for me.

Notice that unusually intense stare at the AT ... ou liefde me thinks as he did the first 1000km running her in for me early last year, Thanks Oom Hannes!