Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which bike shop near Krugersdorp / Randfontein can lace a rim ?  (Read 637 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Which bike shop near Krugersdorp / Randfontein can lace a rim ?
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »
As the subject line says........
I have managed to source a new rim, however Cytech need the whole wheel for approximately 4 days !!!!!

My bike is my sole means of Transport whilst on contract in Randfontein, i just cannot do without transport.

So where can i take my bike where they will lace a new rim and do the job for me in a day ???

I know i could get this done in Cape Town, but where can i get this done in  Johannesburg ?

I would really appreciate some assistance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Jonathan

Re: Which bike shop near Krugersdorp / Randfontein can lace a rim ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:35 pm »
Thank you for all the assistance chaps   :thumleft:   :laughing4:

After trying most BMW dealers & even a few Japanese bike dealers , it would seem that very few dealers in Johannesburg understand or are fluent in the art of lacing a rim ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have eventually been assisted by Auto Alpina, have made an appointment for Tuesday 26 Sep. I will just ensure that i remove the wheel early Monday evening in order that i can send it in early on Tuesday , and hopefully will be able to collect again on Tuesday evening.

I will report back on what transpired......

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
Well i actually got my own front wheel back again today, after having been laced by someone "sublet" through Auto Alpina, who were very accommodating , after realizing that the rim would not be ready in a day  ( as promised) they then gave me there loan bike to use whilst waiting for my rim to be laced.
They loaned me a BMW F800 GS , which was quite fun to ride around Johannesburg.

Anyhow back to the story, arrived back this evening with my newly laced rim & fitted it to the bike.
After fitting the wheel & checking all bolts etc were tight i discovered when spinning the wheel that it wobbles slightly from side to side, how much tolerance is there for a spoked wheel ?
Mine must be around 4mm from side to side ? is this within spec or not ?

Offline detour

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
Mine must be around 4mm from side to side ? is this within spec or not ?

I canít recall exactly what spec is, but it is somewhere in the region of 1.5mm. Definitely less than 4mm.
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:39:42 pm »
Well , i have checked with a few sources & the correct spec is a max deviation of 1.5 mm , both horizontal & vertical deflection.

Now, should i travel the 70 odd km's back to the dealer , at my expense, effort & cost ?
I am just bummed that i paid good money to have the job done by a dealership & it is abundantly clear that the dealer didn't check out the sublet work BEFORE telling me that the job was completed,,,,,,, or else they would have picked up that the rim was not trued correctly....

Another question, would they again have to remove the wheel, tyre & then true the rim ? or could they do this procedure with the rim fitted in place on the bike ? IE, true the wheel on the bike , with the bike on the main stand ?

What would you guys do ?

Offline detour

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:11:45 pm »
Was this a brand new outer that they laced for you or 2nd hand?
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:24:32 pm »
yeah , you are right, it was a used rim,,,,,,, so i have no leg to stand on.
It just would not be worth trying to argue it out with them.
I had a gap at work this morning, so put a cable tie around one fork leg & the clipped it off about 2 mm from the rim.
Used this and a torx 40 to true the rim a little better than what it was. I will take it for a semi high speed run tomorrow & see if it behaves itself, so far , on the way back from work it seemed fine.

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:39:21 pm »
Well, so far so good,,,,,,,
Went for a spin over the weekend to Harties, had lunch at the "Upper Deck", bike behaved all the way there & back to Randfontein , took it up to around 200 km/h & it seemed perfect, no shimmy, no shake & no other indication that anything was wrong  :thumleft:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:11:39 pm »
Iíve been following your fred with interest and I am glad things appear to be working out. Just maybe (I hold thumbs) you got it sorted.  :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan