The Baviaanskloof - 2 Up on a KLR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaT

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Chang Jiang (all models)
It had been in the back of my mind for years that I needed to do the Baviaanskloof trip. I had heard so many stories about the Baviaans but had never experienced it for myself.

It was only decided about a week before the trip that we were going to head that way, it went something like this:

Wife: "There is a long weekend coming up, are we going to take the bike and sleep over somewhere then ride back the next day?"
Me: "Whatever makes you happy sweety"
Wife: "Cool, how about Baviaanskloof?"
Me: "OK my love, whatever makes you happy"

:deal:

It was a busy week for me, work wise, the week before and I only managed to phone for accomodation on the Wednesday. Cutting it fine but we managed to get a booking at The Baviaanskloof Guest Cottages for Saturday night.

Thursday evening I made sure my toolkit and spare tubes etc were all in order and gave the old KLR a once over, you know, because it's a KLR and things tend to come loose from time to time.

Friday evening we packed some food, drinks and clothing ... the excitement was building up tremendously at this stage! My plan was to leave at 08:00 on Saturday morning but as life would have it, we ended up only leaving at around 08.30. There was a slight drizzle on the departure morning but that was the only rain to be seen on our trip. It was also a rather chilly day but I was happy about that - It's easier to ride in cooler weather than in the scorching sun.

Here is the route we took... From PE via Elandsriver Rd to Patensie ... Through The Baviaans ... SLEEP ... Dirt Rd to Steytlerville for fuel, then through to Grootriverspoort and back on the Elandsriver Rd heading towards home.

Map by B R, on Flickr

I hate tar!

About 15km's into the trip I had some idiot riding right up my arse....what are these people thinking!? I suppose they just aren't.

Anyway, as soon as we hit the gravel on the Elandsriver Rd, everything was alright again. My blood pressure was calming and I was ready to get into this trip. We had done the Elandsriver Rd quite often in the past so we shot through there at a nice fast (well fast for the KLR  :imaposer:) pace. I can't tell you exactly how fast because my Speedometer doesn't work, neither does my Odometer nor my Rev Counter. Aaaaaaah Welll! It's a KLR for fuck sakes. Just top the oil up, check the fuel and ride it  :ricky:

Here we are next to the Telkom tower just before our descent into Patensie where another short stretch of tar awaits us before the entrance to the Baviaans.

Telkom Tower by B R, on Flickr

...TO BE CONTINUED - I need to do some work