Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Africa twin crf1000 top box.  (Read 676 times)

Offline Ian Bean

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
Honda Africa twin crf1000 top box.
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:20:05 am »
Has anyone fitted the motoradical top box. Also has anyone with other top boxes had the rear bracket crack as it is only rated for 10 kg by the time bracket and box fitted only about 3kg left to load. I am thinking of the motoradical 27l top box as it's not so big

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Honda Africa twin crf1000 top box.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:08:48 am »
we've sold (and fitted) a good few Motorradical top boxes, without come-backs: their adaptor brackets are some of the strongest in the industry, stainless steel, etc.

So I think you can fit Motorradical without concern. They have just RE-DESIGNED their top boxes and pannier boxes, basically a new system of sealing (waterproofing + dust-proofing), and the boxes are even more cosmetically appealing, close to that of imported boxes.

other meaningful changes are that the BLACK Motorradical top and side panniers are now a nice MATT black, with texture, rather than the SHINY black of old.
A very nice new feature is that the new latches have a hidden button, so they will not fly open if NOT locked; basically you need to release a small button to open, a double safety feature.
And then hi-viz strips in place on the angled rear sides of the boxes (top boxes as well as pannier boxes...)

Pics below.
Shout if we can help
Chris & team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Halfdaft

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
    • Team halfdaft Dual Sport Motorcycle Accessories
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:52:02 am »
Just for interest's sake.

A customer asked me to make up these supports as the bracket on both their bikes had broken. Did both bikes for him prior to a trip to Moz earlier in the year. No cracking or breaking reported so far.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:52:57 am by Halfdaft »
All the world is daft, but thee and me, and thee's halfdaft, so that leaves me.
2003 Honda XR650R
2008 Honda XR650L
1981 Honda XL500S
1978 Yamaha DT250F

Offline Ian Bean

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:57 pm »
Two cracked. Pity that puts me off a top box. The globescout 27l is a really nice small box but weighs 9 kg which only leaves 1 kg to load if you wanna stay within 10kg spec. I know guys say you can go over but would worry me when riding offroad at speed. Maybe I'll stick with soft luggage.

Offline Old Man

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • time, sweat and distance breads experience!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:20:22 am »
Just for interest's sake.

A customer asked me to make up these supports as the bracket on both their bikes had broken. Did both bikes for him prior to a trip to Moz earlier in the year. No cracking or breaking reported so far.

Hi Halfdaft: Hopefully this topic is still being followed. I may be interested if a set of these supports. Can you still make them? 
Honda Africa Twin (2016); BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold;

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »
sub

I'm also looking for a suitable topbox. This set up will take away the risk of the oem rear carrier cracking. Globescout have a 27 litre topbox that I'm keen on
Pass this way once!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:34:01 am »
Half-Daft is a SUPPLIER to us, of various items, mostly Honda 650L and 650R, but he does other products as well, so thanks for posting, Half-Daft!

1. the brackets he has manufactured seem to be for TRAX (SW Motech), rather than for Motorradical, which was my original posting.

2. We are aware that in the past, certain ALUMINIUM top-box carriers for TRAX brand cracked...

3 TRAX then re-worked their alu top box plates to be designed tougher, and have had way fewer issues with them.

4. Motorradical top box plates are A-L-L stainless steel, not aluminium. They are practically over-built, and are tough.

5. 2 or 3 models of Motorradical top box plates are SUPPLIED WITH SUPPORTING brackets, the BMW 1200 GS comes to mind, BOTH the newer liquid-cooled and the older air-cooled, so does the new Africa Twin, and the Yamaha Super-Ten as well...

6. We do not recommend ANY top box for offroad travel for ONE particular bike: the Yamaha Super-Ten: we have seen OEM box break the mounting bolts, Globescout, Trax, Motorradical, and others - simply put, there are MANY threads about this bike and top boxes (for OFFROAD use), it simply is often not worth the risk.

7, We have sold well over a hundred Motorradical top boxes, with VERY few comebacks on the adaptor plates, the only one we know of are the odd 'guillotined' bolt on the supporting bracket on 1200 Air-cooled, and then Motorrdical withdrew the Honda NC700X bracket..., a difficult bike for top boxes WHEN USED OFFROAD, etc.

8. Mototradical now makes TWO Honda Africa Twin top box mounting plates for the SAME top box: 1 is when using top box WITH Motorradical pannier racks, and has extra supporting brackets, and then they make a 'stand'alone' top box plate with its own additional supporting brackets.

Hope that clears things up, and thanks for posting half-daft: we are a fan, and stockist, of your products!
Chris & Team
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 06:57:31 pm »
Thanks Chris. It may be worth me mentioning that it's not the topbox brackets that are the issue with the AT its the very crap plastic material that the oem carrier is made from that cracks and breaks. The new Vstroms also have very weak plastic carriers now.I sent an email to the chaps at Motorradical but have had no reply as yet regarding there racks and topbox bracket with supports ie cost etc. After searching and looking around the Motorradical system that integrates the topbox bracket and supports into the pannier racks is the best set up by far. I'm kinda leaning to the AT being better for a soft top bag than a box. Pitty that toystogo can't supply luggage racks at the moment.
Pass this way once!

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick