Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Garmin EtreX 20X any good for Adventure/Enduro riding?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Omninorm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
Garmin EtreX 20X any good for Adventure/Enduro riding?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:41:00 pm »
Just want to know if the Etrex 20x will be any good for that.
The only negative I can see is that the screen is slightly small. So not sure if one will be able to see comfortably while riding.
Although offroad you can always stop and check.

It's about half the price of the Oregon which is probably what one really wants.

Basically my needs are, waterproof, offroad maps, being able to plan a route and upload Basecamp and GPX files.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
The brand is not important, the fact that you ride is.
BMW 1200GS LC Trophy.
KTM 690 Enduro R.
Yamaha WR250F

Offline Renrew

Re: Garmin EtreX 20X any good for Adventure/Enduro riding?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:12 pm »
It can do everything you need and sunlight legibility is better than anything more expensive.

I had two 30xís that I use for roof and take along on trips as spare and they work brilliantly. Get a ROST bracket for it and itíll be safe/protected.

Navigating while doing races is possible, so reading while on an ADV is fine.
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
And no major advantage of a 30 over a 20 - same memory and display. Think the 30 just has like a barometric altmeter and  electronic compass.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 200 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Renrew

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:51:21 pm »
30x has higher dpi screen, more memory dor waypoints and track resolution with ability to transmit and receive tracks and routes over bluetooth from another device (plain 30 as well).
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline BLK

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kendall & Ass
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »
The Etrex 20 is great but I do think they are meant for hiking and therefore hand held because of the size of screen.Go and test at outdoor warehouse first to see if your eyes can see the screen at a distance,.

Offline Omninorm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:02:59 pm »
Thanks gents!
Gives me all the info I need.  :thumleft:

BMW 1200GS LC Trophy.
KTM 690 Enduro R.
Yamaha WR250F

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:24 pm »
30x has higher dpi screen, more memory dor waypoints and track resolution with ability to transmit and receive tracks and routes over bluetooth from another device (plain 30 as well).

No - same screen and same memory. Only three differences - altmeter, compass and blue tooth.
https://www.gpscompared.net/garmin-etrex-20-vs-etrex-30/
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 200 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:52:58 pm »
The Etrex 20 is great but I do think they are meant for hiking and therefore hand held because of the size of screen.Go and test at outdoor warehouse first to see if your eyes can see the screen at a distance,.

The Etrex is the standard used in extreme enduro at present - as noted above the screen visibility is very good even in sunlight (probably one of the reasons) and size quite adequate. Riders need to be able to read it at speed. Also not too many unnecessary features. Sure if your eyesight is not that good and you want  bigger then look at the Oregon and Zumo's but much more moola.

Offline Omninorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:34 am »
Perhaps you guys know.
How does the Etrex 20x compare to the Garmin GPSMAP 64? NON S model?
I see there is about a R1000 premium on the GPSMAP 64, but seems the new one 64S is out but significantly more expensive.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a significant reason one would buy the GPSMAP 64 over the Etrex 20S for the riding we do.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:18:49 am by Omninorm »
BMW 1200GS LC Trophy.
KTM 690 Enduro R.
Yamaha WR250F

Offline Renrew

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:30:15 am »

No - same screen and same memory. Only three differences - altmeter, compass and blue tooth.

20 vs 30X my statement is true.

20 vs 30, yes same res.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Renrew

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:33:33 am »
If itís any consolation, my eyesight is quite substandard and Iím able to navigate while standing in roof conditions!
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Online BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »

20 vs 30X my statement is true.

20 vs 30, yes same res.

::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:13:17 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline Robin Brown

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:54 pm »
Having been there and got all the T shirts. If I was in the market for a good GPS and could not go for the top new as they cost an arm and a leg I would look for a 60csx.
The reason. The power plug is a round plug which sits tight into the machine great fit: unlike the newer 64s etc which all have a cell phone type charging plug.  Or open up the new machine and solder a power cable onto the mother board.
And never ride with the batteries in the GPS

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:15 pm »
Having been there and got all the T shirts. If I was in the market for a good GPS and could not go for the top new as they cost an arm and a leg I would look for a 60csx.
The reason. The power plug is a round plug which sits tight into the machine great fit: unlike the newer 64s etc which all have a cell phone type charging plug.  Or open up the new machine and solder a power cable onto the mother board.
And never ride with the batteries in the GPS
Why do you say you shouldn't ride with batteries inside? Not that you need to anyway as it can be powered directly from the bike.

I have gone the exact route that you discribe. Did the research and ended up buying a 60CS second hand. I can't remember the reason, but it was recommended over the 62 or 64 by users of all 3 models.

I also decided on it because it has physical buttons which are easier to operate with gloves, especially with a small screen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:56:54 pm by ChristiaanJ »

Offline Robin Brown

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 07:05:43 pm »
with all the vibration the batteries often make and break contact as they rattle around. Then the GPS continuosly switches on and off. Not good for any electronic device.
Happens especially as the GPS gets older

Offline RyanI

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 07:12:35 am »
Just one more thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. I have an eTrex20x for enduro racing and a zumo 660 for adventure biking and used both extensively. The eTrex doesn't seem to be able to calculate routes which I think it essentially for adventure biking. This might be the map set I'm using though.

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:14 am »
Just one more thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. I have an eTrex20x for enduro racing and a zumo 660 for adventure biking and used both extensively. The eTrex doesn't seem to be able to calculate routes which I think it essentially for adventure biking. This might be the map set I'm using though.

Yes it will be your map set, the std recreational map these units come with do not support routing, but any other add on like topo pro or even free open maps will have routing
Dirty by nature!

Offline Damaraland

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:06 am »
Been using a eTrex 20 for the last 3 years or so, couldn't be happier.  I'm mounting it using the Garmin bicycle mount, much cheaper than the metal ones and performs exactly the same.  It definitely does routing (if your maps support it).  I have no problems with legibility, direct sunlight or not.

2 major advantages for me is:
Lack of touch screen, thus easy to operate even with gloves on.
Runs of 2 x AA batteries, so don't have to worry about wiring.  I reckon I get between 18 and 24 hours on a set of batteries.  I realise that lack of external power might actually be a drawback to some.
Video RR - Messum & Ugab (https://goo.gl/Uhd1vb)  / RR - Solitaire (http://goo.gl/cbfxnS)
Video RR - Southern Namibia (http://goo.gl/WpRdRE) / Video RR - Ugab (http://goo.gl/dr57i9)
Video RR - Omaruru River (http://goo.gl/RCTajv)

Offline Omninorm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:27:18 pm »
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!  :thumleft:
BMW 1200GS LC Trophy.
KTM 690 Enduro R.
Yamaha WR250F

Offline Sprocketman

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »
I also use it on my adv. with the bicycle mount - works a treat. I do tether it though just to be safe. I like riding with 2 units - my phone for waze/google maps and a zoomed out version of any route I'm following (using motionx with offline maps so no data used). Then the garmin for zoomed in routes. I've also installed tracks 4 africa on the garmin which is fun for exploring. Rechargeable AA's work a treat and I carry a spare set in my bar bag for long trips.