The worst kind of issue, electrical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My little Zongshen 200 has been great.

Has not given me much trouble and has run almost flawlessly for 24000km.

The last while it would not want to start via the happy button - but it would start easy enough via kick starter. Then gradually starting it even via kick starter got harder and harder.

I set the valve clearances and they were still more or less in the zone - but they are now to spec.

I dont think it is carb issue - it ran fine up until it did not want to start. Also removing the carb and spraying some DOOM or any kind of flammable down its throat it would not show a hint of coming to life.

So must be electrical - removed the sparkplug (new one only did 600km).

Battery fully charged - in a dark garage I see no spark when pressing the happy button.
Kicking it in the dark garage I see a spark.

The coil is fine - primary and secondary resistance measures fine and had it at the bike spares shop (they have a test rig) and it fired fine on their test rig.

So what next?

I is almost as if some of the power is getting lost - if you kick it hard enough there is a spark but it should spark constantly from the happy button. It swings fine from the battery - battery does not sound as if it is on its way out. I have it on the charger frequently to keep it topped up.

Can a faulty CDI restrict spark - or is the CDI an all or nothing kind of failure?

Only other thing I can think of is a dodgy wire in the loom?

I took the stator cover of etc and everything in there still looks good as new - cannot see any damage or scour marks.