Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mitas EO7 or Heidenau K60 Scouts  (Read 1548 times)

Offline WikusGeyser

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Mitas EO7 or Heidenau K60 Scouts
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:10 pm »
hi
I am pretty new to the adventure biking. I am planning to do a few gravel mountain routes in George area end December 2017, but with that mostly tar surface. I am between two now, Mitas Eo7 or Heidenau K60 Scouts. This be for 1200 gs LC and F650GS Twin. PLEASE HELP.....

Offline eddyVN

Re: Mitas EO7 or Heidenau K60 Scouts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »
Well, there is no E07 for the LC yet, only end of year, maybe Jan

So there your mind is made up - K60

For the smaller bike I would recommend the E07, had them on my Tiger 800XC (same size wheels and bike) and could not have loved them more

The following users thanked this post: WikusGeyser

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »
I have had K60's on my Pre-LC GSA for about 45,000km - great tyre - only issue i have is when it gets towards the end of life it gets very square and the centre is solid, so it gets a little squirmy and acceleration or in the wet.
Wet grip is pretty good for a 50/50 tyre, but I drive like Miss Daisy's Chauffeur in the rain - way slow.....
Dry tar grip is brilliant, I have never managed to get it out of shape in the dry..
Dirt roads are as good as you can find, however the sidewalls are very hard, so deflating for sand & stuff doesnt do a whole lot of good - I run them at 1.2/1.6 front rear for gravel highway, nice & comfy.
Will I buy them again?
Hell Yeah!
And Bike Gear in PE are the importers - great service from them - they couriered a set to me last year.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:26:04 pm by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline BLK

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:28:38 pm »
I have K60's on my LC Adv.Tough for the off rd world.No complaints.

Online DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »
Off topic, but for interest sake;, I've put a set of Motoz Tractionator adv's on today.
So far so good. Not as noisy as expected and grips great, both gravel and tar.

I'm curious to see what km they'll give. I don't expect more than 6000km.

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline DiscoBiscuit

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:47:44 am »
Hi Wikus,

I had a K60 for 4500 km, did not like the tyre at all. Tyre was toast, so did not give me more kilos than other brands. Had 2 punctures on the same tyre. There are a lot of people that swears by them, but I will never get them again. Handling and grip is not great and vibration at low speeds are irritating. Anything else in my opinion is better. For the same money I would get the Anlas Capra X, Conti TKC 80 or Pirelli Scorpion Rally . Have the Anlas Capra X on the front, it is doing very well and I have not had one puncture on it. Running a TKC 70 at the rear at the moment and find it good enough on normal gravel and they are great on tar. Still early days (1600 km) so will see how it goes.
Everybody rides differently and you will get as many opinions as replies. Not an expert, and only sharing my experience. I have a couple of bikes with different tyre setups and different uses. To me a good tyre should have lots of grip first, secondly it should be puncture resistant and if it last a couple of kilos it is a bonus.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:26 am »
Hi Wikus,

I had a K60 for 4500 km, did not like the tyre at all. Tyre was toast, so did not give me more kilos than other brands. Had 2 punctures on the same tyre. There are a lot of people that swears by them, but I will never get them again. Handling and grip is not great and vibration at low speeds are irritating. Anything else in my opinion is better. For the same money I would get the Anlas Capra X, Conti TKC 80 or Pirelli Scorpion Rally . Have the Anlas Capra X on the front, it is doing very well and I have not had one puncture on it. Running a TKC 70 at the rear at the moment and find it good enough on normal gravel and they are great on tar. Still early days (1600 km) so will see how it goes.
Everybody rides differently and you will get as many opinions as replies. Not an expert, and only sharing my experience. I have a couple of bikes with different tyre setups and different uses. To me a good tyre should have lots of grip first, secondly it should be puncture resistant and if it last a couple of kilos it is a bonus.

Good Points there!
I have only had 2 rear punctures on my rear Heidis' in all the KM i did - one was a nail near home, and one was a thorn, right up at Epupa falls, far north Namibia. The thorn was a massive Acacia type, and right at the base of a knobblie, and that was it!
Look around further tho, there are more tyres around now than when I last looked!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline EssBee

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:33:20 am »
Wikus, my 5c :if you're doing mostly tar as you say, I would go Anakee 3 's.  That's just me. Don't undersestimate their capabilities off road. Granted, I don't do mud and sand.

Offline eddyVN

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:36 am »
Off topic, but for interest sake;, I've put a set of Motoz Tractionator adv's on today.

Those look mean as hell. Have also heard great thing on international forums

only gripe would be the local price of those considering as you say you'll only get ~6000kms

Might as well get the Anakee Wilds, which can be found now for R2999 a set and get you roughly the same

Scorpion Rally STR looks a good mix, as its harder compound than the normal Rally ~R3700 a set and should hopefully/maybe/possibly get more mileage

I think the selling point of the K60 is that it (apparently) gives you the mileage of like a TKC70, but with better dirt capabilities.

But as DiscoBiscuit rightly points out, everyone will have their own opinion and likes and dislikes

For me, the E07 on my tiger was amazing, I dont really venture into rain that often, but even when I did I never once felt it slide on paint etc. And it handled mud, gravel, sand all with aplomb given my limited talents. Other people hate it. Each to their own  :thumleft:

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:18:40 am »
Each model bike will respond differently to tyres but fwiw, I had E07's on my 800GS, Heidenau K60 on my Xchallenge and Karoo 3's on the front on my 1200GS.
The E07's were great no issues. The K60's was good but very slippery in the wet. It's a hard tyre with hard sidewalls. Good in the rough and lasts a long time.
The Karoo3's I feel is so good on the front. I'm going to get a rear soon, but will put them on any bike now with confidence. I commute and don't feel that they are bad for that either. However your experience might be different. The karoo's can be loud if you don't ride with earplugs. It doesnt bother me.

Imho the E07 probably makes the most sense.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:13:47 pm »
I love the K60 on my LC, itís good for just about any type of riding you want to do on the bike bikes. Iíve taken mine through Baviaans and Antoniesberg pass and havenít had a single issue. Did many thousands of km on them on my old GS including fast dirt up in Nam and all the tar work to get there. I donít think I would have been able to make it there and back on a TKC. They do have there negatives as all tires do, ie bad in the wet and mud.

On a side not, the first set that iv put on my LC adv seem to be wearing much quicker than the ones I had on my standard GS, not sure if itís a softer compound on the rear or if itís due to the increase in power and weight compared to the old bike. Still happy with look of it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:32 pm »

Certainly looks good!
Keep us updated please.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Online OomD

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:28:29 pm »
I had the K60 Scout on my LC. The low speed vibration irritated me so much I took it off again and chucked it away - will not fit another scout again.

But I realize that is a personal irritation, other people seem quite happy with it.

Online DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
I see this pic is doing the rounds - hope to see it soon on the shelves.

8)

Offline dustlover

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:36 am »
I read this interesting article.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/best-dual-sport-tires-sava-mc60/

Anybody know what the import duty is on tyres? It may be worthwhile getting a few guys together to import some as a test.

Go for it - the world is your lobster.

Offline gee

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 05:16:30 pm »
seems like a nice Tyre wouldent mind tiring a set

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
Good combination TKC80 front and E07 rear. And you can at least get them off when you puncture using the beadbreaker from Flying Brick made by Andy 660.

Offline Roarman

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:08 pm »
Just picked mine up today but havenít fitted it. My BIL got his yesterday fitted and says itís not noisy. Weíll find out this weekend how well it runs.

Rory

Offline Baz_Stroud

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 04:26:04 pm »
The E07 is now available in the size for the LC. I have K60 Scouts on at the moment and the road handling sucks.  Oh, and donít go near a road marking in the wet. You WILL die....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 03:24:02 pm »
Just picked mine up today but havenít fitted it. My BIL got his yesterday fitted and says itís not noisy. Weíll find out this weekend how well it runs.

Any feedback on the E07's yet? Mileage? Grip in the wet?
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro