Advice needed from the clever manne

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashplate

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I need advice from the clever manne pls.
I bought a KTM 950 adventure from a guy in Thabazimbi. I kept a conversations. He promised me the bike is in very good condition. I met him in pta and could see it's seen a hard life. Kilometers 53k but the speedo doesn't work, he sez just a fuse maybe but it's not. The fuel indicator light kept flashing, he sez it'll go off, it doesn't. I fixed it in the meantime. Also some of the problems I only noticed when I worked on the bike are some of the leds on the tail light is dead, no rear indicators, the handlebar mount has cracks in it. He showed me the oil looks fine which it did. The bike is still on the previous owners name but all the sale documents looks ok. I rode it back to Kempton park via cullinan and it felt ok, dunno if it is my imagination but it felt like it's not running true, if you ride it no hands, you have to lean slightly towards the left. When I got home I checked the oil level acc to ktm specs, the oil was half on the dipstick. I confronted him and he said the oil is supposed to be there.
In the meantime I installed new indicators and saw the rear subframe has been welded. I took the tanks and panels off and the panels doesn't align and some of the panel holes has been broken out. I got the fuel level thingy working and refitted everything. I took photos of all the problems and whatsapped it to him. I told him to come fetch his bike and give me my money back, he ignored my whatsapps, he read it though. I took it for a ride on Saturday the 7th Oct. I could feel the front brakes is uneven but just slightly and it so happened that cars were stopping infront and I had to take a handful, but way within limits (I've been riding most of my life and the front tyre is a pirelli) resulting me to do the tar surfing thing. Very nice jean full of holes, brand new R1300 ama jacket full of skid marks. My hip is all blue and I must have cracked some ribs, I shat for a few days. No job, no medical aid so I snacked on pain meds. The bike looks fine, crashbar filed down a bit. Left rear plastic took a hit and also the left hand-cover thing. Otherwise it looks ok. I took a ride today Wednesday to harties and back and enjoyed it, just took extra precaution not to overdo the brake thing again. Checked the oil when I came back and the dipstick was just touching, dunno if it was from the tumble I took.
So, I dunno what to do. My funds are limitid. Must I keep the bike and repair it, must I sue the dude, I only have this guys name and cell no, he told me he have two secondhand furnature shops in Thabazimbi. And his wife's banking info.
Advice pls, and yes you may laugh, can't believe I was so stupid but I had no transport at that moment and was in a bit of a predicament,