Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Indicators and Hazard Issues? Please help!  (Read 163 times)

Offline McLovin

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
Indicators and Hazard Issues? Please help!
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:15 pm »
Iv'e recently had Yamaha LED indicators installed by someone on my 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere..

Firstly just to clarify: I'm not putting any blame on the guy who did the install for me. He's done other electrical jobs on my bike and i trust that he knows what he's doing.

Now back to my issue: The day i had the indicators installed, on my way home i realized that my hazards would sometimes not turn on when i push the switch in.
I informed the installer and because it was late in the day and i live far away i told him i'll watch it a while and see what happens.

Now a bit more than a month later. The hazards keeps randomly not working and a few times Ive found that nothing would work, not even the normal indicators. And when that issue happens id have the switch the bike off and on (sometimes more than once) to get everything to work again.

My bike has been at the installer now for a few days, and he is sure that the problem is actually at the hazard switch and that its just a coincidence that the problem happened on the same day that he installed the indicators.

So my only way to eliminate the switch as a potential problem is to buy a new hazard switch.

Before i do that i first wanted to hear if any other S10 owners has ever had any issues with their indicators and/or hazards?
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
Re: Indicators and Hazard Issues? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »
Must confess, I have only used the hazards three, four times. The first when I finally did my drivers license, on my STen!

Sorry, OT...my logic, I doubt it be the switch itself.
 To me it sounds like a loose wire/connection/short?
I understand the LED indicators is a straight plug-and-play, with the resistors for each indicator also installed.
Nope, I predict you and a  multimeter, long hours...hopefully not. Recheck all the connections, spray the switch cluster with contact cleaner then Q5?

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:34:27 pm by swakop_toe »

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:55:08 pm »
Okay... so the "guy" who the man is referring to is this old fart..  ;D

So for the record. Mc has been a really awesome customer. Loads of little stuff and I cannot bring myself to charge him what I spend on the bike. We have worked through a few issues successfully.

The Yamaha LED flickers are so to say plug and play but if you actually do them and properly, there is quite a lot of work involved. I like to solder joints and heat shrink. I did this on his bike. I used as much as possible of the original wiring and it's rooting, so as to make it look as original as possible if someone were to strip the bike at some stage. The flicker sets come with precise instructions, which were followed.

So here is the thing. I stripped the hazard switch and cleaned it. It has dirt on the contacts and this was cleaned. To remove the indicator switch, I would have had to remove the button in the switch. It is clipped on and I didn't want to mess with that.. so I blew the dust inside the switch housing out gently so that I could see whether there were any obvious issues. I could not strip the switch because it has to be removed to be stripped. Put it all together and it was not to my satisfaction so stripped all again. Four times. Eventually happy with the feel. Cleaned and blew out the turn signal switch as best I could from the assembled position.. The hazard switch was stripped and worked fine.

Eventually got it all sorted and rode the bike. It seems to only misbehave when it is riding or running..
The turn signals have not given any problem but the hazards seem to be an issue. If you push the button slowly, the left flicker will start to flash at about halfway in, then maybe a mm deeper, the two sides will begin flashing. When I have been able to get them to stop working, manipulating the button as in pushing it in different directions while pressing it, will have them work again.
I am at a loss for what is happening.. checked the wiring plug and no problem. Replace the fuse as a precaution, same..

Sometimes the hazards will not work.. .

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »
This will be a PitA, but perhaps consider refitting the original indicators?
 If the issue persist, then it's wiring?
 If not, then it could be not enough resistance / oopff to run all four...

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »
I didn't read the whole thread, but there appears to a fix:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/30171-my-hazard-lights-dont-work-after-led-indicator-installation.html

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »
See post #12

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/#/topics/79992?page=1

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:49:57 am »
Both of these threads tell a tale of hazards not working period.

This particular case has had the hazards and the turn signals 99% of the time perfectly. It's that 1% that they don't work, then manipulating the switch has them working again.. I don't see how fitting an electronic relay is going to solve this problem. The purpose of fitting the indicators with the resistors takes the need for the electronic relay out of the equation. Though as the one guy mentions, it does defeat the one object of the LEDs, as well as run a risk of burning wiring. I personally don't like resistors but the bits are genuine Yamaha so I fitted them.

The electronic relay is not load dependant, hence it generates a switched rhythm with which the loads it is switching turn on and off.
Reversing the process, i.e. Reverting back to conventional bulbs for the sake of an exercise, can be done but I will have to get through a huge amount of work before I can spend almost a day doing the job, them almost a day again doing it if the exercise is unsuccessful.. PITA!? Very subtle way of putting it.. While the units are genuine Yamaha, they come with different length wiring to the original non LED units, so there is quite a lot of cutting and lengthening involved to make them fit correctly and for the wiring to lie in the original routing. Not mention the stripping and reassembly of the rear of the bike.. not just a quick fix..

I would be inclined to want to try an electronic relay as a first option but honestly I don't think it will do the trick.. As you can see by the time of this post, these issues are doing nothing for my sleep and my health..

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 06:42:04 am »
I have then run out of ideas.
 So many have done this conversion / upgrade and I have been contemplating doing too for a while now.
 I can hear your frustration.
 I had similar, inexplicable (we call it transient) issues on a server, recently. Weeks of swearing and blaming the software and downtime only to finally swap out the whole machine resolved the issue..
Best of luck!

Offline McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:59:53 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Ive decided that the best option is to pick up the bike today and drop it off at Droomers Yamaha so they can go through everything and see where the problem is.

I will give a update when they hopefully find what the problem is.

Offline McLovin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:55:08 pm »
Got the bike back from Droomers Yamaha today. They removed the front set of resistors. Everything tests fine now.

So far so good. Will keep an eye on it to see if it stays right now.

Offline swakop_toe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:03:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.
 Interesting. So, the hazards weren't giving enough juice to work all the flashers? Too much resistance?

Very confusing indeed.