Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Impi, Elandsheim, south of Dundee.  (Read 593 times)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
The Impi, Elandsheim, south of Dundee.
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »
Anyone here doing this event. An enormous 2 day event with a slick website which until now I'd never heard of before. Interesting to look at the course on Google Earth. Does anyone know why you are not allowed to run a second GPS? I have seen a few riders do this, one zoomed in for the immediate track and the other showing the greater picture which I thought was pretty clever - if you can afford two units.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:48:30 pm by IanTheTooth »
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: The Impi, Elandsheim, south of Dundee.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:51:10 pm »
Yes my son has just completed Gold class and I see a few WD's names -  Koos vd Heever, TMan. It is a very slick and well organised event - RoA should realy go take notes. Proper extreme enduro and warm up and shake down for the Roof for many. They say one GPS due to guys using the zoomed out one to cheat and short cut in the past! I think it is bollocks though - most of the top Roof guys use two and one needs the practice. Cheats are cheating themselves. Also have a fb page - results etc.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:54:07 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:21 pm »
Thanks for the explanation and I have to agree that one thing we all need practice at is following a GPS, no matter how we choose to do it. Looking at the course I can't see that there are many bits that you can  gypo even if you wanted to!    I found your son in the entrants now I'm looking out for him. For those who can't be bothered to download all the tracks to have a look I've put them all together. Bronze yellow, silver magenta, gold red. 

Offline IanTheTooth

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:46 pm »
See your boy was flying to come in at 23rd in Gold. He is a couple of places in front of the other rider that motivated me to look at the event, Guy Bonandrini.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »
Thanks, yes a great result as he was pacing it rather than on the edge racing it - cannot risk injury now for the Roof. First day told me lost quite a bit of time properly stuck in a mud bog  ::) The second day was proper hard extreme evidently and they add the two days together for combined time. Some guys do gold Day1 and Silver day two, Silver i and Bronze 2 etc ... you can mix it up. What is good is you can start and at each refuel decide if you want to continue from Bronze to Silver and then same with Gold. A very well organised event that is becoming the hard enduro benchmark. Josh is still on his way back from KZN so will hear the war stories later  :biggrin:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: