Spokes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I had a request for help yesterday, a pig owner had an issue with a few loose spokes in his front wheel and didn't want to ride it like that.

So for your info, this was the process....

With the bike on the centre stand start at a known point like the valve and ping each spoke on one side, if it goes thunk not ping, mark it with a piece of insulation tape, repeat on the other side so you have all the thunking spokes marked. :biggrin:

In the middle of each nipple on the hub is a locking grub screw, if it doesn't loosen (its fiddly in place), unscrew the whole nipple its a T40 Torx and soak it on the bench, its much easier than in situ.

I then just refit and tighten until it doesn't do the thunk, manual says about 3Nm from memory, then nip up the grubscrew and remove your marker tape and move on to the next spoke.  :thumleft:

I don't go mad and tighten all spokes, that is looking for kark.  8)

And in the interim Raka had arrived, so Steph left on his pig to go to breakfast and Raka and myself went down to RAD (1km away) for Joey Evans's book launch and bumped into Kurt aka Adventurer and the Rhino, and from there to the Old Rose in Petervale for a great "breakfast" and a few beers, a pleasant morning. :sip: