Driveshaft FUBAR, what now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jors Troelie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
The bike is a 2008 model GSA, 122,000km. While riding today, I heard a Krrrr-sound whenever I changed gears or slowed down, but not when I accelerated, almost like the clucking sound from he clutch when changing gears but just more continuously. It started suddenly and when I stopped I could not see anything visibly wrong, but realised it had to be the gearbox, clutch or driveshaft. I cut my trip short and started limping home, which at that stage was 130km away. The shortest route was through Shoshanguve, where I did not want to get stuck, so I pushed on well knowing that I'm causing more damage. Still 80 k's from home it finally gave in, the pivot joint disintegrated.

Question: What are my options? I know I'm in for R15,000+ but considering that there is also likely to be other damage to the housing or bearings, this may be a conservative amount. The back wheel turns freely, and when put in gear the shaft (now exposed) also turns freely.

Who shall I take it to? I was thinking ACME as the first choice as it is around the corner from my house. Is it worth doing at all, considering the age and mileage of the bike. I've ridden her very hard most of the time, but other than this issue, there are no other mechanical issues.

I'd appreciate some views. Since it will come up, yes, I have lubricated the spleens every 10,000km's but recently I detected the universal joint becoming "inflexible". My assumption is therefore that the male ends of the splines on both sides are intact, but I did not dismantle yet to confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 529