Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2017  (Read 8470 times)

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Roof of Africa 2017
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 03:34:34 pm »
Shocking to see so few entries!!!!! :eek7: :eek7: :eek7: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Economic reasons perhaps?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 05:17:50 pm »

Yes I think it speaks directly to the debacle last year and has been coming for awhile. Yes the economic situation is a big factor as well but all the more reason for ROA to make sure they are giving a quality value for money event (some like Impi events are getting this right). The moving of the date that eliminates most school, college and varsity goers due to exams is definitely also a factor.

Only about 60 Gold riders and same for Silver - this including international riders. Two years ago when Josh did Silver there were 170 riders in that class! They have filled the Bronze numbers with all comers who did not qualify and have kept entries open to the last minute.

They do though seem to be getting things together a bit better than 2016 and things seem to be coming together. See the official site and the lates video by Darrel Curtis on the routes. http://roofofafrica.info/
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:46 pm »
Justbendit and his Brother Aidan are going to be there.

Justin is swinging spanners, not sure what class Aidan is riding in.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 08:21:47 am »
BiG DoM, do you mind if I ask some questions about your boy's Gold attempt? The nitty-gritty of these things really interest me.

- His build (weight height etc). He's about 19 right?
- His training (hours of riding, other cardio or other exercise per week).
- His nutrition (before and during the race).
- His bike (why that one) and bike prep.

Sorry, don't want to make you type a book.

All the best to him, post some pics and updates here during and after please!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:36:19 am by LoopSoosStroop »

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 08:27:06 am »
- and if he waxes his legs. I'm still struggling with that one.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Sithe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 08:46:27 am »
Economic reasons perhaps?

Apparently the dates for this year did not suit a lot of riders, especially the youngsters who are right in the middle of exams

I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline IanTheTooth

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 08:50:58 am »
Sithe, how are you getting on? Last time I bumped into you was when we intersected with Darryl's Man & Machine and you had had a big off. Riding fit again?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:51:25 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:41 am »
Sithe, how are you getting on? Last time I bumped into you was when we intersected with Darryl's Man & Machine and you had had a big off. Riding fit again?

Yes, I remember you guys coming through. They messed me up at that race, someone cut trees and left stumps. I caught one and went over the handle bars, dislocated the elbow. Very very painful mishap.

I was back riding a week later, stupid  >:D

The elbow is fine now, I am riding fine and even playing golf again. Still gets a bit stiff now and again if I overdo some activities, but otherwise strong.

Are you coming to the Roof this year ?

Offline IanTheTooth

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:00 am »
Yes, I'm coming up on plastics. Myself and Iain Mcdonald want to find a way through from Mt Moorosi to Semonkong after coming up Ongeluks Nek. After that we will drink and party with the best of them.Ian 

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »
BiG DoM, do you mind if I ask some questions about your boy's Gold attempt? The nitty-gritty of these things really interest me.

Josh is 19 and about 1.8m and 83kg. He is lean and buff (no compromise on fitness)

Training - Gym 6 days a week. Has sponsorship from Base Fit who supply custom weekly personal enduro fitness program that he self manages (we live in EC so not near one of their gyms). Presently about 4 hours exercise a day excluding riding - mostly mountain bike cycling and gym. Riding bike varies from an hour a day to full 6-8 hour days depending. Has a trials bike for tech shakedowns - great for honing skills and balance.

Nutrition before racing on day - smoothie protein shake (Phyto Pro and `Futurelife with fruit and milk), boiled eggs and baby potatoes or potato salad with boiled egg, dry wors, toasted egg mayo sometimes. During race - energy bars, race food and peanuts and raisins. At DSPs - protein shake and pasta salad with chopped chicken or potato salad with same. After race - recovery shake (protein intake within half hour of finish) and ensure rehydrate with electrolytes. Before racing from waking - hydrating with Nuun lemon and lime supplemented with Nuun Plus, same during race (carries two 2.5-3 litre bladders - one water, one hydtrate). SlowMag for 4-5 days before race and during to prevent cramping.

Bike is 2017 KTM 250 XCW 6-Days. Power to weight ratio perfect for his weight and is a brilliant proven bike. Has Lectron carb and V-Force 4 reeds. Hilton Hayward tuned and setup suspension. Evans waterless coolant and radiator fan. Full Hyde sponsored protection and Castrol sponsored lubrication. Mitas tyres, Golden Tyre and Nitro mousses. Bandit Signs sponsored sticker kit. Prep includes fresh top-end and clutch. I will swing the spanners at Roof as before with my eldest son Jethro as wingman, waterboy and masseuse (tough being a privateer!). Once again thanks to the Wild Dogs who have supported Josh's fundraiser and in kind support.

The mountains are calling  :ricky:

Ask away if you have more questions  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:16:23 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:02 pm »

Josh is 19 and about 1.8m and 83kg. He is lean and buff (no compromise on fitness)

Training - Gym 6 days a week. Has sponsorship from Base Fit who supply custom weekly personal enduro fitness program that he self manages (we live in EC so not near one of their gyms). Presently about 4 hours exercise a day excluding riding - mostly mountain bike cycling and gym. Riding bike varies from an hour a day to full 6-8 hour days depending. Has a trials bike for tech shakedowns - great for honing skills and balance.

Nutrition before racing on day - smoothie protein shake (Phyto Pro and `Futurelife with fruit and milk), boiled eggs and baby potatoes or potato salad with boiled egg, dry wors, toasted egg mayo sometimes. During race - energy bars, race food and peanuts and raisins. At DSPs - protein shake and pasta salad with chopped chicken or potato salad with same. After race - recovery shake (protein intake within half hour of finish) and ensure rehydrate with electrolytes. Before racing from waking - hydrating with Nuun lemon and lime supplemented with Nuun Plus, same during race (carries two 2.5-3 litre bladders - one water, one hydtrate). SlowMag for 4-5 days before race and during to prevent cramping.

Bike is 2017 KTM 250 XCW 6-Days. Power to weight ratio perfect for his weight and is a brilliant proven bike. Has Lectron carb and V-Force 4 reeds. Hilton Hayward tuned and setup suspension. Evans waterless coolant and radiator fan. Full Hyde sponsored protection and Castrol sponsored lubrication. Mitas tyres, Golden Tyre and Nitro mousses. Bandit Signs sponsored sticker kit. Prep includes fresh top-end and clutch. I will swing the spanners at Roof as before with my eldest son Jethro as wingman, waterboy and masseuse (tough being a privateer!). Once again thanks to the Wild Dogs who have supported Josh's fundraiser and in kind support.

The mountains are calling  :ricky:

Ask away if you have more questions  :thumleft:
BigDom what does your gazebo look like? Not normally in the DSP's but if I am might swing by to offer some support during the long nervous waiting. Good luck to the lad, even at 19 he already has an old head on his shoulders so that bodes well.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 03:17:39 pm »

[/quote]
BigDom what does your gazebo look like? Not normally in the DSP's but if I am might swing by to offer some support during the long nervous waiting. Good luck to the lad, even at 19 he already has an old head on his shoulders so that bodes well.
[/quote]

I will probably not to take a gazebo this year due to the way the pits and start/finish at Bushmans is organised on two levels, and assisted refuels and DSP's are being organised. Instead I have an Easi Awn on my Subaru Forester and will operate from there - this will allow quick travel, setup and turnaround at refuels. The start for Gold is at 6am anyway and then one is off to the refuels anyway. I will place a lumo orange traffic cone on the roof for easy identification by rider. I have got to the stage where 'less is more'  8) Do look out for us  :thumleft:

Offline IanTheTooth

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 03:41:32 pm »
Yes Pete, it would be nice to see the two Professors together - a photo opportunity! You could do a fly past for us. I think the cone on the roof of the Subaru is genius, but if I tried to put anything on the roof of my wife's Subaru there would be trouble.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
Yes Pete, it would be nice to see the two Professors together - a photo opportunity! You could do a fly past for us. I think the cone on the roof of the Subaru is genius, but if I tried to put anything on the roof of my wife's Subaru there would be trouble.

:imaposer:

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 06:35:47 pm »
Interesting what goes into it to do a race like this.

Thanks for sharing and good luck to the youngsters.   

Personally I think it is harder for the parents / seconds than for the athlete.

Anyway - enjoy it!!
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 06:51:50 am »
Thanks for the insights there Big Dom

Two quick ones:
- with school,  how does he get time for all the training and riding every day, or is that training just now for the Roof ?
- are you guys planning to go pro or is he a hobby rider?

Thank you again

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »
Thanks for the insights there Big Dom

Two quick ones:
- with school,  how does he get time for all the training and riding every day, or is that training just now for the Roof ?
- are you guys planning to go pro or is he a hobby rider?

Thank you again

He finished school last year (with the demands of Matric it is why he did not do Roof last year) and has been doing some varsity subjects this year - was originally studying full time but was too hectic as he had some health issues as well - so changing to UNISA which allows more flexibility. He was the victim of an unprovoked road rage incident early in the year that saw him with a broken nose resulting in chronic sinusitis and persistent migraine headaches that required surgery. This almost derailed his dream be he has overcome these challenges and is now firing on all cylinders (well one 2T one and all his  ;) ). A Gold finish will be a win after what he has been through this year! Unlikely that he can ride professionally even though he would love to - you need lots of cash and sponsorship along with exceptional talent to make a living from it. I believe he will continue to compete competitively in extreme hard enduro as it is his passion but will also continue with his studies.  :thumleft:

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 04:00:11 pm »
What’s his number bigdom?

Spectating this year, will keep an eye out for him!

This year is going to be good, last year was an absolute abortion. That snake bite pass almost broke me :lol8:
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »

This year is going to be good, last year was an absolute abortion. That snake bite pass almost broke me :lol8:

Got to agree about last year - we also spectated which was a bit of a cock-up. Ended up helping at the self refuel for about 3 hours where there was barely any water for riders and one marshal!  Josh's race number is 25. http://roofofafrica.info/2017/10/18/josh-thorborn/

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 05:15:59 pm »

Got to agree about last year - we also spectated which was a bit of a cock-up. Ended up helping at the self refuel for about 3 hours where there was barely any water for riders and one marshal!  Josh's race number is 25. http://roofofafrica.info/2017/10/18/josh-thorborn/

Sweet will keep an eye out for him :thumleft:

Is he riding a TPI?
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W