Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2018  (Read 23331 times)

aardvark, Takashi, Big-G, Cdp13, niel07, LDV, MT and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
Re: Dakar 2018
« Reply #920 on: January 14, 2018, 04:51:55 am »
Gerry’s in  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 14, 2018, 05:01:02 am »
Tough first leg of the marathon stage

Monster Energy Honda Team today battled its way through a complicated marathon stage in the 2018 Dakar Rally. Joan Barreda took the triumph in the special stage despite crashing en route. Kevin Benavides posted third position. Both are still well set up for final overall podium places.

The second week of the 2018 Dakar kicked off with rain, as had been expected in the Bolivian highlands. From now on, the special stages of the second week’s racing increase in mileage as well as in altitude, with the three stages set to cover the Transandine territory, which will play out at an average altitude of 3500 metres above sea level.

The riders today got to tackle the part one of the first of two marathon stages scheduled for this edition of the Dakar. With the rest day over, the entourage has moved on from the capital of Bolivia to a new bivouac located in Uyuni, where the riders arrived today after a cold and rainy liaison section from La Paz to Oruro. This marked the start of the special which would later end up at the Uyuni military barracks where the riders will spend the night. In this marathon stage, external mechanical assistance is prohibited, with only the riders themselves authorized to perform maintenance or any necessary repairs on the bikes.

The special, with both fast and muddy tracks – much of which was very broken up in the opening stretches – combined offroad riding over sand and vegetation with some physically and technically demanding sections. This required some deft riding skills to stop the bikes from sinking into the ground or collapsing. There were plenty of river crossings towards the end of the rally to add an extra degree of difficulty.

Joan Barreda set a furious pace on the muddy tracks and had soon set the fastest time of the day. In the latter part of the special, the Spanish rider fell hard and damaged a knee, although despite this, was able to finish the stage with yet another victory, the third in this Dakar 2018 and the 22nd in his history of the race. Barreda is third in the general standings, 4’45” off the leader.

A good day for Kevin Benavides who held on to the third position from which he started this morning. In spite of having conceded the overall leader’s spot, the Argentinean keeps his options open and lies a mere 3’14” off the current leader Adrien Van Beveren.

American Ricky Brabec and Chilean José Ignacio Cornejo finished the stage without taking too many risks. Brabec came home tenth and Cornejo twenty-fourth. Michael Metge arrived back late at the bivouac, delayed after suffering a rear wheel problem and is out of the race.

The second part of this marathon stage will conclude tomorrow in Tupiza, where after 498 kilometres of special and 87 km of link, riders will once again be able to receive help from their mechanics.

Joan Barreda
Stage: 1st Overall: 3rd
I was doing well and had recovered several minutes when in the middle of the storm I left the track and the bike fell on me, hitting my left knee. I had the doctors look me over and they have told me that there is nothing broken, but that I have some liquid inside the knee. Let's see if they can fix it and tomorrow we will start to try to hold on to the stage, although I saw the stars when I had to put my leg down on some corners.
(He’s going to ride  :biggrin:)

Ricky Brabec 20
Stage: 10th Overall: 11th
In this seventh stage, the first part of the first Marathon, I didn’t feel comfortable with the rain, which has not left us all day. But the tracks were quite quick and I could go fairly fast, but without taking too many risks because I wanted to get to the Uyuni bivouac in one piece and with the bike without problems. Now let's see how we prepare tomorrow's stage.

Kevin Benavides 47
Stage: 3rd Overall: 2nd
It has been a very hard stage; basically it rained all day. At the beginning there was a lot of navigation and dunes with vegetation and it was very difficult. At kilometre 100 I caught the riders in front and we opened the track together until halfway through the race. We knew we had lost time because we were slow opening the track. Then we started attacking towards the end to recover a good pace. We hope to finish this marathon stage well tomorrow.

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 14, 2018, 05:02:42 am »

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:43 am »
Laia blog

Laia Sanz: "It was the hardest stage we have done so far"

In the seventh special of the Dakar Rally, the Soficat Xerox driver had to overcome a large mud to finish in 19th position.
The multi-champion is 18th overall and is now only two and a half minutes away from the top 15.
"I lost time in the mud because I did not wear motocross tires, which for today would have been better, but in a marathon it's a little risky."
The Dakar Rally has returned to action this Saturday after the day of rest that pilots enjoyed yesterday in La Paz (Bolivia). He had to wear the competition clothes and return to the task with the dispute of the seventh stage, which has also been a marathon, that is, without the possibility of mechanical assistance. Laia Sanz has covered the 425 kilometers of special stage - plus the 302 kilometers of the link - in 19th position, 27'27 "behind the first one. In the general is 18th and now is closer to the top 15, which is only 2 minutes and 33 seconds, while the top 10 is 52'01 ".
The Soficat Xerox driver has arrived at the Uyuni camp happy after having run very well in the first part of the timed, which has reached tenth place on its way through the second waypoint. The good feelings for Laia have lasted little because the track has become a mud, where it has suffered and has given time for mounting tires poorly indicated for the terrain that has been found.
"I think I have taken a good pace because I have reached Pedrero and I have been able to continue until I have been very hooked in the mud, where I will have lost three or four minutes. The problem I have had is that I did not wear motocross tires, which would have been better for today, but in a marathon it is a bit risky. That is the reason why today I have lost so much, although I thought it would be more, "he acknowledges.
The 18 times world champion has not hesitated to qualify this seventh stage as "the hardest we have done in this Dakar, until now". For Laia, "it was a very physical special, at first with 'camel grass' very machacona, then with very fast sand tracks and then with a large barrizal of 340 kilometers in a row."
Despite the setback in the mud, the Soficat Xerox claims to be "happy because nothing has happened, I have not had any falls, the bike is fine and that's what is important in a marathon stage without mechanical assistance".
After reviewing her KTM 450 Rally of the KTM Factory Racing Team herself, Corbera de Llobregat is ready to face the second part of the marathon, which will be played this Sunday between Uyuni and Tupiza, with 87 kilometers of link and nothing else and nothing less than 498 kilometers against the clock, in what will be the longest special - for motorcycles - in the entire Dakar Rally 2018.

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 14, 2018, 05:24:25 am »
Tomorrow’s stage:
Stage 8: Uyuni – Tupiza: 584 km (SS: 498 km)

• Assistance: tomorrow border crossing Bolivia – Argentina:

The second part of this marathon stage also includes the longest special stage of the rally, covering nearly 500 kilometres. Before leaving the Altiplano, the competitors will be put to a tough test in high-altitude sand dunes 3,500 m above sea level. This should start to give us a better idea of the leader board; the handful of men or women capable of winning the Dakar will now be revealed.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #925 on: January 14, 2018, 07:11:40 am »
Really worried about my girl Gabriela - she is marked as started but no time on any WP. Really hope it is just tracker issue - so far she was making admirable no drama steady progress, especially for a Dakar noob.

Saw on the DSTV Stage recap video that she almost got run over by a car! He then helped her with a broken aerial and offered her help in the bivouac tonight, but I see she still hasn't reached any waypoints.

Here is video of that incident, and it was close for the poor girl, but I don't think it was in today's stage. They are out of those dunes and sun now and in the Bolivian rain and mud/wet sand:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Alright - she made it! It was  the tracker issue  :)

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 14, 2018, 08:33:30 am »
Thanks guys,hoping the dutch sounding frenchman can pull off a win for Yamaha
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #927 on: January 14, 2018, 08:49:05 am »
At this stage my preferred winners would be either AVB or Kevin B. It would be great to have Yamaha or Honda winning this - the excitement in the aftermath may push them to ignore accountants and produce a real right sized DS bike, something they were avoiding to do for way over a decade by now.

I'm particularly impressed by Kevin B - he is riding very smart race controling the front but not taking undue risks.

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:41 am »
Barreda for the win  :thumleft:
Honda, Yamaha and KTM on the podium - in that order.  :peepwall:

Online gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:11 am »
Any news on Barreda's knee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online SteveD

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: January 14, 2018, 10:02:19 am »
Any news on Barreda's knee?

Not broken, but there is fluid, so it is properly injured.
He plans to ride today, but it remains to be seen at what pace.
There was one more thing......

Oh yes, he’s going to win. Steve said so.

Offline AJBotha

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 14, 2018, 10:04:58 am »
From Instagram:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Online gmac

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:34 am »
To have that happen and still smash everyones time is epic!

Would like to see him ride in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AJBotha

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 14, 2018, 10:36:36 am »
I would like to see Toby take the stage today!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 14, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Barreda for the win  :thumleft:
Honda, Yamaha and KTM on the podium - in that order.  :peepwall:
Your enthusiasm is getting the better of your common sense! Barreda will blow it again, as he always does.
Just because your bachelors did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #935 on: January 14, 2018, 12:26:31 pm »
At this stage my preferred winners would be either AVB or Kevin B. It would be great to have Yamaha or Honda winning this - the excitement in the aftermath may push them to ignore accountants and produce a real right sized DS bike, something they were avoiding to do for way over a decade by now.

I'm particularly impressed by Kevin B - he is riding very smart race controling the front but not taking undue risks.
+1
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline JK

• Plakkies rides like a
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »
If i am not mistaken then it seems we are RACING again  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If Toby does not find those missing 4th and 5th gear today i might just have another blerry cardiac incident  ;)
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline Xpat

« Reply #937 on: January 14, 2018, 12:50:37 pm »
Yes, we are on. And Barreda is riding - let's see how serious the injury is. I hope not much - will be much more interesting with him in the mix than without.

Offline JK

• Plakkies rides like a
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 14, 2018, 12:52:15 pm »
 :thumleft: Yes if its not gonna be TP then at least let be a Non Froggie  :lol8: Just to pee of the French  :lol8:

Offline JK

• Plakkies rides like a
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 14, 2018, 01:01:54 pm »
So if Lyndon gets up at 4h00am and then starts in 1Hour and 20 mins thus at 05h20am. How early in the mornings does the 1st riders getup and start  :o