Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Clanky" gear shifting  (Read 1564 times)

Offline krokonoster

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • HungryMind
"Clanky" gear shifting
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:10:04 am »
Hi,

Since I'm such a n00b there's probably nothing wrong with my bike.  (2017 GSA LC)

When changing gears it feels pretty mechanical/clanky.  (again, probably normal)

But then the dealer loaned me a 700GS for the day (totally different bike I know, guess the gearbox also) and good lawd the gears change so smooth.

So I've been wondering if my gear shifter is normal or is it supposed to be smooth like on the 700?   (if it's normal as is, no worries.  just want to make sure all on my bike is as it should be and not mess up something due to my ignorance.

Cheers,
K

ps:  please no "get a *whatever*".  This is my bike, I love it.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: "Clanky" gear shifting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:51 am »
It is agricultural in design so no worries that is normal. It will clank but last a long time.
BTW when is it clanky? Up or down shift?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 10:20:17 am »
It is agricultural in design so no worries that is normal. It will clank but last a long time.
BTW when is it clanky? Up or down shift?

Mostly up, though I thought that is more because you "feel" more the top of your boot that through the thick sole.   (commute boot at least...off road boots i feel zit)

Awesome..it's really not a problem, just wanted to make sure.  LOVE this bike!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
To make 100% sure have a BM mechanic ride the bike. The "up" clank sounds a ajustment must be made somewhere.
Clank down without a blip of the throttle is very normal. Up not so much.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:27 am »
To make 100% sure have a BM mechanic ride the bike. The "up" clank sounds a ajustment must be made somewhere.

Cool, will arrange something (maybe ask GravelMan ..being not "with" the dealer).

It was pretty bad after my service (another post.....lot of issues) and I took it in.  Came back as it is now (more or less as before service) and they said it needed a software update.
So I assume they tested it and it's fine. But yeah, having someone experience try it was my initial idea, just thought of GravelMan, he did a small job for me before and cool / knowledgeable oke.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:31:05 am »

Let me go for a ride lunchtime and make sure (coincidently wear "normal" shoes today will be able to feel it much better) [yes I know, I washed my riding sneakers the last night..lol]

Might be talking out of my arse, so let me make sure.

Offline eddyVN

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:20:07 am »
Got my LC a month ago after having a TIger 800XC for 4 years

Clunky is accurate :) By comparison my tiger felt like a DSG box and my LC feels like a Massey Ferguson

But I have a quickshifter on mine which makes it rather lovely when you use that  :thumleft:

So... to me it sounds normal, but make a bad decision and buy a quick shifter!

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:21:59 am »

But I have a quickshifter on mine which makes it rather lovely when you use that  :thumleft:

oh dude, I so much want one, but next year.  been too naughty this year (spending)   R 8,200 

The following users thanked this post: speed

Offline eddyVN

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:55 am »

oh dude, I so much want one, but next year.  been too naughty this year (spending)   R 8,200

THANKFULLY the previous owner of my bike wanted a "road" bike. so the dealer says anyways

Bought the triple black, added quickshifter and put on the Pilot 4 tires

put on 2400kms then came in and traded it on an S1000XR

lost money for him, win for me

Offline alwyn_gs

• Gelšnde/Strasse - Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC)
  • With my loving wife, Michelle - let's do this!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:21 am »
Coming from an Air Cooled DOHC 1200 (2010), the new Liquid Cooled 1200 (2016), the comparison is like a old Bedford gearbox to an Roll Royce's. BMW has done a lot to improve the gearbox.

Suggestion, let a BMW mechie take it for a spin around the block to make sure
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:41:29 am by alwyn_gs »
RR:Sani 2013, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=131550.0, Honeymoon 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=153612.0
Livinstone Lite 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=162532.0, Om Lesotho 2014, http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=168999.0
Skoeters : Knight in White Satin (R1200GSA LC), Military Fuel Tanker (R1200GSA AC 142 690km - decommisioned)
G650XMoto, G650XCountry-pilotted by Michelle

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 11:42:30 am »
Coming from an Air Cooled DOHC 1200 (2010), the new Liquid Cooled 1200 (2016), the comparison is like a old Bedford gearbox to an Roll Royce's. BMW has done a lot to improve the gearbox.

Yeah I heard people say that.  Which is why I am not sure, because if mine is normal, the AC must have been a real piece of work.  lol

Will send GravelMan a message later, hearing if I can pay him for a "test ride"  (taking his time after all)

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:22 pm »

I prefer the pre-2013 gearbox.  Yes, it was very clunky, but at least the clunk was always the same.  In time you knew which clunk indicated which gear.  My LC is like each gear have three clunks.  Truly the worst gearbox I ever experienced on a bike, including a 1976 50cc Yamaha. 
.#BRADICAL!

Offline EssBee

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:49:09 pm »
I also find mine clunky, having gone from a K25 to a K51 only one month ago. Being an integrated gearbox I was expecting it to be a lot smoother. I do find, however, that the clutch lever adjustment can play a bit of a role here, but I suppose that's also a bit of a personal thing in that we may not all exercise the same co-ordination of pulling the lever in and changing.

Offline eddyVN

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:47 pm »
I also find mine clunky, having gone from a K25 to a K51 only one month ago. Being an integrated gearbox I was expecting it to be a lot smoother. I do find, however, that the clutch lever adjustment can play a bit of a role here, but I suppose that's also a bit of a personal thing in that we may not all exercise the same co-ordination of pulling the lever in and changing.

actually agree with you a lot here. The Tiger I had obviously had a cable clutch, and the LC is hydraulic. So its even harder for me to sort of "feel" the clutch and right gear shift point when not using the quickshifter.

Again, its just me getting used to it though and prob not the bike. But its so different. I had the clutch lever set on the widest adjustement outwards so I dont crush my fingers on shifts (2 fingers) but that was kak - so went to third setting which seems good compromise. Also can't believe that people want R1400 for 2 finger levers that aren't even adjustable!! so will wait with that switch. Really miss that from my tiger (off topic... hijack off..)

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »
Hi, you sure the clank is from the gearbox? I also heard a clank a while ago and thought it is the gearbox, now it sounds like it is the drive shaft. Let us hear what the clever hounds tell us.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:41 pm »
Hi, you sure the clank is from the gearbox? I also heard a clank a while ago and thought it is the gearbox, now it sounds like it is the drive shaft. Let us hear what the clever hounds tell us.

I'm not sure about the sound (hard of hearing and take my ears out while riding).  It's more the feel

"Tested" it lunch....its up and down...feel pretty inconsistent too (maybe clutch lever?)

Anyhow, I'm the type that pumps the wheel then my exhaust falls off and the battery is flat, so made an appointment with GravelMan tomorrow to ride and feel for himself.
Probably nothing, but rather let someone check.   (i tend to worry too much when i'm in the middle of nowhere all by myself)

Thanks for all the feedback...learn a lot here (and from watching MC Garage on Youtube last few evenings.  lol)

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 03:10:12 pm »
Its basically a big German Tiger Tank. Step on the damn thing :D
Yeah it's one of those GS things that you get used to. Probably the only part of the bike i dont really like- the clunky gearbox, esp having ridden among other a Vstrom which is buttery smooth, but as soon as you accept the fact that the GS is basically made like that I suppose to last the rigours of usage then it becomes almost comforting.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
Yeah it's one of those GS things that you get used to. Probably the only part of the bike i dont really like- the clunky gearbox, esp having ridden among other a Vstrom which is buttery smooth, but as soon as you accept the fact that the GS is basically made like that I suppose to last the rigours of usage then it becomes almost comforting.

Try a GS 700 some time.  Damn dude, it was such a nice ride (mean the gears).  Not mine, dealer borrowed it to me.  I ended the day crashing it.  :-(      Just last week.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:21:12 pm by krokonoster »

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:43 pm »

Try a GS 700 some time.  Damn dude, it was such a nice ride (mean the gears).  Not mine, dealer borrowed it to me.  I ended the day crashing it.  :-(      Just last week.

Damn, not a good end to the day.

I rode a F700 before and owned a F800GS. Trust me the Vstrom makes both feel like tractor gearbox.  ;)
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline krokonoster

• HungryMind
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 07:50:29 am »
So had it checked out, nothing wrong.

It's cool, as long nothing wrong.  Just a shit hot chick with a fucked up toe or something.   All good if you ignore it.