Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Clanky" gear shifting  (Read 1562 times)

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: "Clanky" gear shifting
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Its basically a big German Tiger Tank. Step on the damn thing :D
Yeah it's one of those GS things that you get used to. Probably the only part of the bike i dont really like- the clunky gearbox, esp having ridden among other a Vstrom which is buttery smooth, but as soon as you accept the fact that the GS is basically made like that I suppose to last the rigours of usage then it becomes almost comforting.

Try a GS 700 some time.  Damn dude, it was such a nice ride (mean the gears).  Not mine, dealer borrowed it to me.  I ended the day crashing it.  :-(      Just last week.

Damn, not a good end to the day.

I rode a F700 before and owned a F800GS. Trust me the Vstrom makes both feel like tractor gearbox.  ;)

The 2008 V-Strom already makes the 2016 1200GS gearbox seem rather agricultural.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline -D-U-K-E-

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 07:05:43 am »
Hi Krok,

There is a bit of a technique to it:

My AC is generally accepted to have a more clunky gearbox than the LCs, but my gear shifts are now 100% quiet - you literally can not hear anything when switching from 1 through to 3 (which seems to be where the clunk is more pronounced.)  The higher gears are not as clunky.

The procedure:

Before switching gears, simply put your toe in contact with the shifter, applying a slight bit of pressure. (This is called preloading the shifter)

Then switch gears like normal...

Hi,

Since I'm such a n00b there's probably nothing wrong with my bike.  (2017 GSA LC)

When changing gears it feels pretty mechanical/clanky.  (again, probably normal)

But then the dealer loaned me a 700GS for the day (totally different bike I know, guess the gearbox also) and good lawd the gears change so smooth.

So I've been wondering if my gear shifter is normal or is it supposed to be smooth like on the 700?   (if it's normal as is, no worries.  just want to make sure all on my bike is as it should be and not mess up something due to my ignorance.

Cheers,
K

ps:  please no "get a *whatever*".  This is my bike, I love it.

Offline Dustbin Dog

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:20 am »
I ride a 2016 LC and a 2017 700GS. The LC is like a farm implement compared to the 700.   :imaposer:
Yamaha XT500 / Montesa 250 King Scorpion
Suzuki GSX 1100
Ducati 900 MHR
BMW R100RS
Current BMW R1200GS

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 04:26:30 pm »
I ride a 2016 LC and a 2017 700GS. The LC is like a farm implement compared to the 700.   :imaposer:

Janee.  My 1960 John Deere tractor have a slicker gearbox.
.#BRADICAL!