1980 Honda XR250 coming to life.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNaude

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So after a long debate whether do give the old girl a full restoration or not, I have decided to go ahead as this is such a less complicated build and restoration as to my previous one...

The history is as follows:

The bike was standing at a friend of mine's house for almost 8 years in storage. Every time I went over for a braai I saw the old girl staring at me, shouting for help!!
So I just couldn't resit and asked what is he's plans for this old legend, He's answer: "neeee ag ek gan hom maar weg moer", meaning he had no plans as to even keep it and would get rid of it. So I stepped in and said, nee man my f..., gee die ding vir my. I want it. So....I have it... :thumleft:

Load it on the bakkie and took it home....

So this is where it all started....The era of where scramblers and offroading started....this legend of a bike....in my garage.... battered and bruised, I'm going to put life back into this never ending radical machine...

So after a quick diagnostics test I came to the following conclusion...

The petrol in the tank has gone rotten
The carb is all messed up and full of debris
the rear spring shocks is vrot
tires is gone
Exhaust is shit
and rust has started to accumulate

BUT.....something caught my eye....only 3000 km on the clock, NO ways...But this was true as I know the history of this bike and not much riding has been done. So I knew great things is to come...

So I decided to get the old girl firing to asses the damage and give a proper prognosis.

Stripped the carb and tank, gave it a proper clean. Washed the tank and gave it a fresh epoxy coat inside. looked sommer brand new again.

And there you have it, 2 kicks and the old bird was running...Sounded fresh and crisp...

So let the surgery begin. Going to make this old sugar mamma young again with a total makeover and few upgrades...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 957
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 954
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 921