TIG welders corner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustdevil

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
This thread started as the "TIG Weld Trolley build" but due to the conversation taking a general TIG welding info section direction when trolley got finished, I decided to change the title but please read the story as there is lots of interesting commentary, otherwise jump to page 4 somewhere where the conversation started to get a broader perspective :thumleft:.

I recently bought myself a small TIG welder, DC only, and have found its usefulness more than anticipated.
It is however a drag to be tethered to a 10 ton argon cylinder  :eek:, so the idea came up that a weld trolley can be a useful addition to this nifty little TIG welder.

Here will follow my ideas, drawings and tribulations on constructing this little gadget which hopefully will put your average Swiss knife to shame as far is the number of functions I require.

The list of requirements is as follow:
- Stability - Affrox cylinders are narrow and very heavy. Making them mobile always accompany the risk of them falling over causing great damage or harm.
- Sturdy and dedicated mounting for the TIG welder at a good height to read and make adjustments comfortably.
- Storage for filler rod. - Filler rod should be kept in a sealed container to prevent contamination but at the same time one need a readily accessible area for loose rod to be right at hand.
- Storage for electrodes in use. - For those that have tried their hand at TIG welding will know how important uncontaminated electrodes are and how easy it is to bugger them up. I like to always keep a few handy so I don't have to get up every 2 min to go sharpen the electrode.
- Hanging place for a helmet.
- TIG torch holder
- Place to safely coil the cables.
- A shelf or 2 for clamps and grinders and extra cables.
-...... more to be added as ideas develop.

Oh and one more thing, the idea to do this also has a lot to do with getting some extra welding miles in to help improve a steady hand. TIG welding can be very precise but require a very consistent and steady hand. Getting to know the technique is easy but to master it takes practice, practice, practice.

Attachments

• Original design.jpeg
    Original design.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 926