Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Back brake pulsating  (Read 288 times)

Offline AdventureBoy

Back brake pulsating
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:58 pm »
Evening everyone
This last weekend I did the NDBA on my Africa Twin without any issues. I got a new set of boots, which have a much thicker sole than my previous boots, which led to a few challenges. One of them was that its very easy to push the back brake without knowing it. I have adjusted the back brake pedal down a bit.

Since the ride I have noticed that the back brake has developed a pulsating action when braking. It feels to me like the ABS is kicking in. I have tried the brake with the ABS switched off and get the same result. I also feel that the back brake is not as effective as it was. While the ABS was off I did an emergency stop on the tar and the wheel did lock up, but I feel that I had to apply extra pressure to the pedal than I used to. I took the pads out and they still have lots of life. They were replaced about 4000 km ago. I generally ride cautiously, so no heavy braking etc. I have visually inspected the discs and they do not seem to be worn, although measuring them would be more accurate.

Any ideas on how to resolve this as I am not confident that the brakes are operating at their optimal.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Offline Beebop

Re: Back brake pulsating
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:55 pm »
You didnt perhaps overheat the disc and warp it by
riding with the brake depressed because of the new boots ?

Offline AdventureBoy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
You didnt perhaps overheat the disc and warp it by
riding with the brake depressed because of the new boots ?

I am worried that I may of done that, but my inspection of the disk does not show any damage to the surface and when I turn the wheel the disc seems to turn true. Perhaps I must take the wheel out and have the disk measured for high spots or warping.

Offline WabbitKiLR

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:55 pm »
I think Beebop may be right on the money.

Best would be is to (if possible) lift up the rear wheel, then tape a pencil onto the swingarm with the nib just touching the disc. Spin the wheel and take note if the distance between the pencil and disc changes.

It may give you some indication of any disc warp and it's a quick 5 minute jobbie you can do at home :thumleft: