A nivice's ride report on his experience at De Wildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Firstly, I was not there. This was written by a friend. Enjoy, and I for 1 can relate to his thoughts. :wink:

PS: Sorry no pics, so don't ask for any!

As you may know your partner, Pop Eye, invited me out for a beginners, introductory enduro ride. Told me he had painstakinly researched the easiest beginners route, cos he likes me so much !

De Wildt, but very tame, he said ! Even took along a new 450 that needed nursing to run in. Ok so me, not too shabby a rider, did a little foot-ups a 100 yrs ago, armed with a road full face helmet, a summer mesh jacket, the latest off road pants , loaned knee pads , buzz light year G S boots and lots of false bravado sets off for a slow easy INTRODUCTORY lesson in enduro.

After stalling the bike 20 times and having to put it on its stand just to kick start it { no happy button for juniours} im off all goes well for 10 min.

Realy feeling good, my mate Pop Eye and my touring buddy Eugene would never let me get hurt , and Garth, he seems nice enough !

Suddenly we come to a stop and my mates all say " just remmember, a little momentum " and before i can say four stroke , a mother of a hill, affectionately known as " long rocks " awaits. My buddies all disappear up and im left alone and afraid, so only one way and thats up !

Well i cant use bad language here but that hill taught me some new words, me and the bike were very rarely going in the same direction, it was a long and fierce battle. I still had to stop for 3 guys coming down, and i saw the fear in their eyes, and they were going down hill !

So i get to the top, pretty pleased with myself, still in one piece and my buddies have waited, so im not going to die alone in this god forsaken bush.Then im introduced to ' Mrs Piggy " a dirty bad tempered mother of a down hill, its not a ride, its a slide hope and pray and pray some more. Consider youself lucky if you and your bike arrive at the bottom in the same place and in one piece.

At this stage i realise a terrible truth, an undenyable reality, i know nothing about riding bikes ! I now hope my buddies will do the honourable thing and leave me to die quietly alone here in this terrible place.

They dont !

They take me to a spaza shop, feed me coke and chips and say nice things , like well done , the worst is over, and we will be home soon ! BLOODY LIERS!

I even try bribery, pay for all their cokes, smile a lot and tell them i feel realy close to them !

Its then i meet a friend, also at the shop, also riding with his mates, real mates !

I tell him its my first time, that my mates are taking me the easy way, and i explain about long rocks and mrs piggy, and i see a strange look develope on his face before he doubles over in hysterical laughter, rushes over to his friends and they all stare at me with a mixture of admiration and pity, then theyall laugh again.They approach me and with serious faces advise me to find new riding buddies !

So now i know im in trouble, and when we hit the river bed i realise im on my own.But now im getting this shit, even enoying it, i realise i dont need to know anything, the bike knows, just open up and hang on , realy hang on !Its sand and rocks and shit everywhere, some rocks bigger than me but my bike aint fased, its going and i can go with if i want .

Man and do i wanna go with, throttle open, i swear and curse in my helmet as i humiliate all before me , its a crazy high speed mixture of sand and rock and i love it.

Even the little wimp called coconuts is a laugh, i sail up, even passing Garth who is trying to convince his bike to go in the same direction as him.

All too soon we were back, loaded the bikes and i sat quietly on the tar and said thanks to the army of gaurdian angels that kept me safe !

To Eugene, Garth and especialy Stephen, thanks so much for a great days riding, honestly the most fun ive had on 2 wheels in ages.