Silencer to frame bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
If you studied gynecology you are qualified to put a helicoil in the frame silencer bracket of the R1150, 15 pics of a nut is a bit pointless so I didn't bother with pics of it, gynecologists don't either :snorting:.

Some time in the past the thread must have been "tweaked" so it loosens easily, on two off road trips (including SANI where the PEEG fell off the mountain) the bolt had got lost so the silencer only hanging from the Y piece  ::) big cable ties gets you home (courtesy of Gordon Guthrie who helped me at Sani Top)  :thumleft:

But it needs a fix the thread is too loose and it will keep on happening, so the Turtle sold me an M8 Helicoil kit, very reasonable :thumleft:

So exhaust off, cannot get my big Bosch drill in its too big, pull the bottom shock bolt, same story the drill goes in but wrong angle, borrow a smaller drill and all done in 5 minutes.  8)

Now to tap it, working from the blind side  ::) as I have no stupid tiny square drives to do it from a long range, so the tap wrench is too big to turn in the space, little turn forward, back a turn forward a bit back a turn, it must have taken me an hour to tap a single 8mm thread 10mm deep.  :eek7:

Degrease it with Benzine, put Loctite on the Helicoil, fit and let it set, Exhaust on and it holds full torque no issues, I think its sorted but I will leave a BIG cable tie on for luck until I am sure.  :biggrin: