Canola Run 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
It was a run I did last year just for the fun of it, attended by an odd 30 bikes over two days.  Reasoning behind the idea was just to take friends through the splendour of the Overberg this time of the year.

Our NG Dominee, who happens to be a very good friend of mine, and really swell guy, asked me if I would do something like this again as a fundraiser for the church, as the church needs a repaint, for which the last quote was R500 000, yes HALF A MILLION!

I have no problem doing charity work, neither do I have a problem ridingâ?¦.. So, Canola Run 2008 was officially a GO!!!!!!!

After the post in â??Planning a Rideâ? on WDs, the church printed some flyers and distributed them among bikeshops.

Johnnie Bok offered to do the registrations, and what a fine job he did of it!  Thanks a lot!

Saturday morning, I woke up to a howling Northwester, and assumed that there will not be many guys out there.  I got to the garthering point in Caledon, only to find 2 bikes there, the 1200 GS of Johnnie Bok (which incidentally in slang Afrikaans for John Deere, a brand he favours a lot!) and the Djebel 250 of Operator.

Slowly but surely, the bikes started pulling in, with Jan of Kawasaki Helderberg pulling in with a large group of new KLRs, thanks Jan.  Eventually, we were over 60 bikes with 76 people.

C29.JPG

C32.JPG

There were all types and sizes, from Chinese 200cc to German 1200ccâ??s.

In the red corner, weighing in at 1100cc��

C33.JPG

And in the orange corner, weighing in at 950cc, we have���

C34.JPG

And in the green corner���

C36.JPG

So off we went, all excited!

C39.JPG

C40.JPG

C41.JPG

C42.JPG

C43.JPG

C45.JPG

C47.JPG

C49.JPG

The route takes you through all the little tracks that are not accessible by public road users, as 95% are privately owned.  The route was 80km long, and I did the first stop to regroup after 20km.  Lo and behold, it wasnâ??t even a 5 min wait, and all were there!

Eisbein, being the BMW fanatic that he is, has to have a pic of his rideâ?¦..

C50.JPG

After another 10km, I realised that some had completely forgotten the golden rule of group ridingâ?¦.just check your mirror for the guy behind you, and we had already lost a few guys!

We waited here

C5.JPG

I got a message from Heinrich, who did the sweeping, that someone had lost his keys at the first stop!

C53.JPG

Luckily the keys where found as they were just about to start hotwiring!

C4.JPG

C51.JPG

C.JPG

C1.JPG

Leftlessâ?? seriously impressive ride

C2.JPG

And off we went again

C55.JPG

C57.JPG

C58.JPG

C61.JPG

C66.JPG

About halfway through, we were met in the veld by my friend the dominee, offering ice cold beers, water and cooldrinks��

C71.JPG

C72.JPG

A KTM in a hurry to leave

C74.JPG

C76.JPG

And some watercrossingsâ?¦..

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Heinrich, who farms on most of the land we rode through, showing how its done

IMG_0523.jpg

Eisbein and Rogue coming up the hill, with a lonesome 1200 that toppled over in the watercrossing

IMG_9938.jpg

C3.JPG

C6.JPG

Shortly after, Tony got a flat, and Heinrich helped him.  By this time, most had completely forgotten the â??kyk-uit-vir-jou-maaitjie-agter-jouâ? rule, and all went on their own merry way.

Bikes arrived from all over the show, after I had explained by phone where we were.

XT 660 R kept us entertained while we waited.

C12.JPG

C13.JPG

Heinrich arriving at the waiting point

C17.JPG

As well as Go Girl

C26.JPG

Then we went on the railway track for the last 20km

Here my son arrives on his newly acquired Husqvarna TE510.  Him and Heinrichâ??s sons helped with the sweeping and finding lost riders.  I was so proud of them.

C102.JPG

En route to the braai

C95.JPG

C97.JPG

C99.JPG

After the ride��.a team awaited us with drinks, very tasty braaied chicken, salads, rolls and potatoes, in the middle of nowhere!

C104.JPG

Thanks to al who helped with the ride, those who attended and all involved.

I suppose getting lost is part of the fun, and this picture best describes the ride�..�Where the f�. are the others?�

DSCF9207ed.jpg

Hope to see you all again next year, as this was too much fun to only do once!

Ps.  Thanx Rogue for your pictures!

Pss.  Thanks to all the guys and girls who visited Zanzibar for coffee afterwards, I really appreciated it! :thumleft: